Is the pandemic cycling craze here to stay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoldenLamprey

There seems to be a lot of people here all in favour of enforcement against motorists. I'd like to see a lot more enforcement action against idiot cyclists, which means a significant proportion of cyclists. You know the ones who descend at breakneck speeds, buzz other cyclists and pedestrians, ride without lights, and generally act like they can behave however they want, but think everybody else should have a load of rules to abide by.
Motorists kill 500 pedestrians and cyclists per year, on average, plus plenty of their fellow motorists. Cyclists kill two pedestrians per year, on average, and have never killed a motorist in their vehicle. Which do you think we should concentrate resources on?

jim55

Guru
Speed is not the issue for bikes I guess,riding like a fanny is ,ignoring red lights ,down one ways wrong way ,up and down pavements to avoid stuff etc,that's what is meant

GoldenLamprey

Speed is not the issue for bikes I guess,riding like a fanny is ,ignoring red lights ,down one ways wrong way ,up and down pavements to avoid stuff etc,that's what is meant
All pretty stupid stuff, I think we would all agree. What are the consequences of these actions, then?

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
All pretty stupid stuff, I think we would all agree. What are the consequences of these actions, then?
Vehicles travelling the correct way down one way streets taking avoiding action. Those on the bike doing likewise. At present mounting the pavement seems an easy option for all concerned. Where do we expect the pedestrians to go to avoid either road vehicle?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Final statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for 2019 show that there were:
  • 1,752 reported road deaths, similar to the level seen since 2012.
  • 153,158 casualties of all severities in reported road traffic accidents, a decrease of 5% compared to 2018
The figures for 2020 haven't been published yet, but if this number of deaths and injuries happened in any other form of transport, Sea, Air or Railways there would be serious questions asked with the possibility of them being closed down.
Because this is the roads and many people believe it is a right to have a vehicle the death toll seems to be overlooked.
We have all seen the headlines when a cyclist for whatever reason injures someone, but drivers of vehicles, although they do get prosecuted when caught seem to take it as an occupational hazard. Then some have the gaul to complain that they have been done for speeding.

Lovacott

Über Member
There seems to be a lot of people here all in favour of enforcement against motorists. I'd like to see a lot more enforcement action against idiot cyclists, which means a significant proportion of cyclists. You know the ones who descend at breakneck speeds, buzz other cyclists and pedestrians, ride without lights, and generally act like they can behave however they want, but think everybody else should have a load of rules to abide by.
I'm in favour of a cycling proficiency course becoming part of the school curriculum for all primary school kids.

It would cover such things as the road rules, basic bike mechanics (repairing a flat etc.), road safety and etiquette.

Much more relevant than R.E. or Rounders.

DRM

Guru
Totally agree. I fear a similar phenomenon to our experience with a 20 limit in our village would occur where speeds have actually increased (according to the parish council/community speedwatch guys). It’s reported that it’s largely due to drivers assuming the vehicles coming towards them are going more slowly and accelerating to bets them to the gap to save waiting. The other issue is policing it, of course.

A rural “A” road not far from here used to be a 60 Nsl and has always been known for regular accidents. A few years ago it went down to 50. No reduction in accidents. Last year, reduced again to 40. Still no reduction in accidents (as reported by local authorities). The only thing that’s happened is an increase in congestion on that stretch of road, frustrated drivers and some attempting stupid overtakes that they would never have done with the higher limit and vehicles travelling at potentially higher speeds. I’m absolutely not advocating speeding or inappropriate speed, but lower limits aren’t necessarily the answer, especially if it’s a lack of attention thats causing the accidents. Investment in better driver training and awareness would be money better spent.
My daughter failed her first test for slowing down at a narrow bridge, rural road over the M1, you can't see what's coming in the opposite direction, many of whom are slightly over the white line, then there's a tight double bend past a golf course entrance, it's national speed limit, the examiner said it was being over cautious, I'd say driving with due care and attention, I've been along there too many times to count, and I would dearly love to have taken that examiner down there at around 50mph and scare the crap out of him, especially taking the racing line at the double bend past the golf course, and then slow down a little for the last tight left hander then blast up the straight at around 60 mph ish, I'd love to know his feelings on inappropriate speed after that.

GoldenLamprey

Vehicles travelling the correct way down one way streets taking avoiding action. Those on the bike doing likewise. At present mounting the pavement seems an easy option for all concerned. Where do we expect the pedestrians to go to avoid either road vehicle?
Feel free to shout at them, if it bothers you. I don't see this behaviour anywhere near the levels the Daily Mail would have you believe.

I'll concentrate on not getting killed by 1.5 tonnes of metal box on the road.

Solocle

Über Member
I technically jumped a light earlier this morning. What surprised me was that the light actually changed for me, it never detects me on the carbon bike. I was on the steel commuter this morning, but even then it's quite unlikely.

I was past the stop line when it changed.
1611479156811.png

When you get used to a traffic light not detecting you, you often ignore said traffic light. When you get used to traffic lights in general failing in this manner, you end up showing disdain for them all.

Lovacott

Über Member
I technically jumped a light earlier this morning. What surprised me was that the light actually changed for me, it never detects me on the carbon bike. I was on the steel commuter this morning, but even then it's quite unlikely.
There's one set of lights on my commute and on the way home, there are enough cars about to trigger them for me if they are red.

On the way to work, I've had to "jump" them a few times. I'm a bit sneaky though because I pop myself forward off the saddle and walk the bike over the line so that technically, I haven't ridden a vehicle through a red light. :becool:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On the way to work, I've had to "jump" them a few times. I'm a bit sneaky though because I pop myself forward off the saddle and walk the bike over the line so that technically, I haven't ridden a vehicle through a red light. :becool:
The law is written in such a way to outlaw that action (I think the offence is to propel the vehicle over the line, rather than driving it), probably because old cars were easier to push than modern fat ones.

Then you realise that they can write that one precisely but won't outlaw being parked on a pavement and it is just :cursing:

Solocle

Über Member
The law is written in such a way to outlaw that action (I think the offence is to propel the vehicle over the line, rather than driving it), probably because old cars were easier to push than modern fat ones.

Then you realise that they can write that one precisely but won't outlaw being parked on a pavement and it is just :cursing:
I think you're in the clear if you lift the bike up and carry it, though! :becool:

Lovacott

Über Member

Pavement parking is a huge problem where I live.

Our houses are all footpath terraces on a very steep hill with a road no wider than an average sized car.

There is a section of residents permit parking which we all pay for but it only takes about a quarter of the cars. The rest of us have to park in the long stay in town for £3 per day.

Overnight, people coming home from work will just bung their car on the pavement if they can't find a residents spot. It gets enforced in the night about once a year but the rest of the time, they get away with it.

It's that bad, that when I walk down the hill into town, It's easier to walk in the road than it is to play mazes with the cars on the pavement.

Reactions: mjr

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My daughter failed her first test for slowing down at a narrow bridge, rural road over the M1, you can't see what's coming in the opposite direction, many of whom are slightly over the white line, then there's a tight double bend past a golf course entrance, it's national speed limit, the examiner said it was being over cautious, I'd say driving with due care and attention, I've been along there too many times to count, and I would dearly love to have taken that examiner down there at around 50mph and scare the crap out of him, especially taking the racing line at the double bend past the golf course, and then slow down a little for the last tight left hander then blast up the straight at around 60 mph ish, I'd love to know his feelings on inappropriate speed after that.
I'd suggest your daughter failed her test because the examiner thought she did not have the ability to read the road properly and was unduly hesitant when it was perfectly safe to proceed. Rather different to "Taking the racing line at 50mph". Driving test examiners have no more wish to die during the test than anyone else.

I spent two decades as an ADI and sat in the back seat during many a test. Believe me, in most cases the candidates version of what happened during the driving test was way different to what I witnessed with my own eyes.

Top Bottom