Is the pandemic cycling craze here to stay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If we had more cyclists perhaps more councils might consider making their roads and streets more cycle friendly.

There's enough traffic congestion on the roads already, without more idiotic council cycle lane schemes making matters worse. Most of the cyclist congestion I have encountered has been on cycle paths not roads.

screenman

Legendary Member
There's enough traffic congestion on the roads already, without more idiotic council cycle lane schemes making matters worse. Most of the cyclist congestion I have encountered has been on cycle paths not roads.

You do come across as being a little bit selfish at times. If you are in an area that is crowded then you are part of the crowd.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You do come across as being a little bit selfish at times. If you are in an area that is crowded then you are part of the crowd.

Which is why I don't wish to add to the crowd and make matters worse! If I'm riding along a road or path and there's only a handful of other people around, it suits me fine. I have no wish to convince a whole load more people to join in and cause the places that are currently still pleasant to ride in, to become congested and unpleasant.

Drago

Legendary Member
As has been seen justmrecently in Kensington, removing the council cycle lane schemes can actually make teaffic flow measurably worse.

The bottom line is there are too many people on our small island, and thqt isn't likely to change. They all want to get about, and I'd far rather they were all on bicycles than all in cars with 4 empty seats, belching pollution and killing 7 to 10 people a day.

If you think too many cyclists are an annoyance then you've clearly not considered what life would be like if every one of them reverted to the mainstream altenative - the motor car.

Be careful what you wish for.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you think too many cyclists are an annoyance then you've clearly not considered what life would be like if every one of them reverted to the mainstream altenative - the motor car.
I wonder by how much the cycling boom has actually cut car use? The new enthusiasts on their expensive bikes still use their cars for shopping, commuting and family trips and the bike riding merely takes the place of sofa surfing or other leisure pursuits.

As for cycle commuters, we would need to know how many left their cars at home in favour of the bike compared to how many cycle instead of taking public transport. I don't know what it is like in the big cities, but my observations out in rural Wales have found that despite there being many more bikes out there are still just as many cars on the roads as there used to be.

I wonder by how much the cycling boom has actually cut car use? The new enthusiasts on their expensive bikes still use their cars for shopping, commuting and family trips and the bike riding merely takes the place of sofa surfing or other leisure pursuits.
... such as leisure pursuits that they drive to (quite likely for someone who was not against doing outdoor sport).

But heck, if your glass is half-empty, I'm probably not the one to change that for you ...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
... such as leisure pursuits that they drive to (quite likely for someone who was not against doing outdoor sport).

But heck, if your glass is half-empty, I'm probably not the one to change that for you ...
Look at the car park at any cycling event, they've nearly all driven to get there and some from the other side of the country.

Half empty glass, or realist?

As for cycle commuters, we would need to know how many left their cars at home in favour of the bike compared to how many cycle instead of taking public transport. I don't know what it is like in the big cities, but my observations out in rural Wales have found that despite there being many more bikes out there are still just as many cars on the roads as there used to be.

It is easier to notice an increase in a relatively small number of cyclists than a decrease in a much larger number of cars. Twenty extra cyclists on a country ride are much more noticeable than twenty fewer cars.

I would have thought that distances involved in rural areas mean there would be far less cyclist commuters than in an urban area where distances travelled are smaller.

Look at the car park at any cycling event, they've nearly all driven to get there and some from the other side of the country.

Half empty glass, or realist?

I went on a 50 mile cycling event in the Gower Peninsula. I decided to drive the 50 miles there and 50 miles back otherwise I would have been too knackered for the ride, and would have collapsed on the way home.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
A craze is a craze and will go the way of Mutant Ninja Turtles and Pokémon: the size of the niche in-crowd may grow but it remains a niche activity. Where the pandemic may have a long-term effect is in a new relationship between residence and workplace. If city-centre working declines, if populations tilt towards larger houses with home offices in rural or semi-rural areas, then the bike becomes the vehicle for the run to the local shop, visits to local friends and occasional, rather than daily, commuting. Wait and see.

Top Bottom