Is the pandemic cycling craze here to stay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've never seen so many cyclists out and about in London as today. Mind, the mild temperatures and blue skies helped.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
There were two 'crazes' this year in my experience. Lockdown 1 saw loads of people cycling, but the end of that and the summer was bonkers with paddleboarders! Seriously, some days I reckon you could have walked across the river on them it was that jam packed!

Both the bikes and boards have disappeared now until the summer is my guess

Gunk

Guru
In the middle of Summer all my finished project bikes sold in a matter of days for silly prices.

The last two, which were both really nice bikes, took a bit longer and I was disappointed with the price I got, I don’t think it is just seasonal as I’ve always sold all year round and decent bikes sell any time of the year, but I do think some heat has come out of the market, as the bike shops start to restock.

Johnno260

Veteran
jog joggers are still running down the middle of the road rather than using the footpaths wearing headphones blocking out all road noise, and expecting everyone to move out of the way for them.

My wife almost hit a jogger the other day, like you said earphones and music probably too loud, they were on the footpath but just turned and stepped into the road without looking.

She did an emergency stop and the guy threw abuse, he was priority as a vulnerable road user, my wife said yes if you're crossing the road, but you stepped out without looking it doesn't mean you step into the road without looking.

The guy was a douche, I was actually talking to my wife via handsfree and knew she was near our drive, he didn't like it when I showed up, he was nice and brave shouting at a women.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My wife almost hit a jogger the other day, like you said earphones and music probably too loud, they were on the footpath but just turned and stepped into the road without looking.

She did an emergency stop and the guy threw abuse, he was priority as a vulnerable road user, my wife said yes if you're crossing the road, but you stepped out without looking it doesn't mean you step into the road without looking.

The guy was a douche, I was actually talking to my wife via handsfree and knew she was near our drive, he didn't like it when I showed up, he was nice and brave shouting at a women.

Not sure if your telephone conversation started before or after the incident, and, yes, the jogger should have looked, but, using a phone (even handsfree) while driving.... tut, tut

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
and come on, fold up bikes?
...are brilliant :-)

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
That is the late Les Lowe on an upright trike or barrow. Trikies are the hard folk of cycling. Getting one of those round a bend at speed is a real skill (even riding one in a straight line is a real skill, believe me).
Second that Ian . About 25 years ago I tried one in large empty car park ,scary . The owner calling out be careful I’ve just had resprayed . The photo you posted , years ago all the trikies I knew had very full beards.

Johnno260

Veteran
Not sure if your telephone conversation started before or after the incident, and, yes, the jogger should have looked, but, using a phone (even handsfree) while driving.... tut, tut

True but the call can be answered with a push of a button on the steering wheel, and tbh I find a handsfree call less distracting then a person in the car, I had called as I thought she would be leaving her shift and walking to the car, but she had been allowed home early.

Fact is, the jogger should still of looked before crossing the road.

Edit: the call had started before the incident.

Top Bottom