Is the pandemic cycling craze here to stay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear jeans and ride a bike with a basket on the front. I probably look like a dick head but i really don't care what anybody says inside or outside the forum. In fact, im more determined than ever to get an upright trike and really bust the cycling trend!
That's exactly my point, I care not what you ride and wouldn't comment.

Other's on here though, are a little different.

I, like you couldn't give a t**s what people on here think.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Dug myself out for the first time this year today. Never seen so many cyclists on one ride in the lanes around here.

I went for a 30 mile round trip this morning. After a couple of miles I decided to ride along the Taff Trail for six miles to Pontypridd because of the scenery. I have never seen so many cyclists on it; families, couples, single riders of all ages. Great to see but not so great to ride through so I stuck to the roads the rest of the time, nearly all road cyclists, and a lot more than I used to see a year ago.

I volunteer at a community bike workshop that sells used, renovated bikes and we cannot keep up with demand from people who want to try to get back into cycling for leisure or local commuting.

The current boom may not be here to stay, but it would be surprising if it was given the strange circumstances. There will be people who drop out of cycling after trying it out but that has always happened and I am certain that it will result in a large number keeping it up from the high number of new cyclists.

You never know, some of them may even turn into "proper" cyclists like everyone on this forum.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In my area, there was a boom during first lock down. It has fallen back, particularly as weather has become colder. But, the overall level is still higher than pre-Covid, particularly among those who look like they may be cycling to/from work. I am hopeful, but, I am an optimist ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
Interesting piece which analyses the statistics and trends suggests it is. What do you think:
I think that is a US publication and the article has little relevance to the UK.
There may have been a mini walking and cycling boom during the frst lockdown in my area, but that collapsed immediately as motor vehicle traffic levels returned to pre covid levels.

13 rider

Guru
First decent weather day off the year and loads of riders out today on all sorts of bikes . Nice to see family groups out getting the kids out riding . Spent a few minutes chatting away to a lady rider on her new Cannondale gravel bike ,she took up riding in the first lockdown and loves it . If the lockdown encourages a just a few newbies to carry on that can't be bad . Was in my Lbs the other week and was chatting about how busy they are now and they are now selling winter kit and lights etc to the people who starting in lockdown so some off them are carrying on

snorri

Legendary Member
You miserable guys would make any new cyclist pack up, ask yourself what have you done to encourage somebody to take up and keep up cycling.
I'm out on the roads and showing that it's possible, but even I now have roads which I consider 'no go' areas such is my concern for my personal safety.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I will ride any road, I will of course pick the quieter road given a choice. I am always polite and just refuse to be intimidated by a driver in a rush or one who thinks they have more of a right to be on the road. Had the odd dickhead over the years taking the mickey but nothing crazy.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
... im more determined than ever to get an upright trike and really bust the cycling trend!
Bust what trend exactly?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It doesn't seem as popular as it once was, most advocate safer, easier recumbents :rolleyes:

Good to see a pic of Jimmy Nail on his tricycle though :laugh:

That is the late Les Lowe on an upright trike or barrow. Trikies are the hard folk of cycling. Getting one of those round a bend at speed is a real skill (even riding one in a straight line is a real skill, believe me).

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
That is the late Les Lowe on an upright trike or barrow. Trikies are the hard folk of cycling. Getting one of those round a bend at speed is a real skill (even riding one in a straight line is a real skill, believe me).
Aye, ive been warned a few times but that only makes me more eager... Got to be mad...

Top Bottom