Is the Specialized Allez Elite 2008 OK for a novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G_MAN

I was considering buying a 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, however, my onlu concern is that you don't get as much for your money in terms of the groupset as you do with other manufacturers. For example, the Specialized comes with Shimano Tiagra whilst a Trek of the same price comes with Shimano 105.

Mortiroloboy

My first serious road bike was a spesh allez, I have to say I was very happy with it, they do make some excellent machines, common as muck mind you :smile: but well made.

My only advice to you would be to spend as much as your budget will allow, that way you won't feel the need to upgrade stuff, well not immediately anyway!:biggrin:
Oh and get along to a participating www.bikefitting.com shop, I believe some Specialized dealerships now offer a BG fitting service too which is obviously Spesh bike specific.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

G_MAN said:
I was considering buying a 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, however, my onlu concern is that you don't get as much for your money in terms of the groupset as you do with other manufacturers. For example, the Specialized comes with Shimano Tiagra whilst a Trek of the same price comes with Shimano 105.
As a pure novice, that means very little to me I'm afraid. So I don't think I will notice anything :smile:

I am wanting to stick with Specialized as I know the lads in the shop very well and they will look after me.

I fully appreciate there are better bikes, but for a novice biker like me, I think anything between £500-£800 will be more than adequate.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought a 2007 allez elite approx 18 months ago & have not regretted it at all. Fantastic bike, great riding position, but i wish i'd paid the extra & bought a triple ;) The 2007 model is a better colour than the 2008 too :biggrin:

bonj2

lonesome_rider said:
Head is starting to spin now. I knew this would be far from straight forward :biggrin:

just get the allez elite it's a fine bike.
You don't NEED the top end groupset, the only difference is it's a bit lighter.
Tiagra works perfectly well.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Had a good chat with one of guys in shop this morning, see them most days. The Allez Elite is a Compact set, so smaller gaps, so I should be fine with that compared to a double. To change it to a triple would add too much to the cost of the bike.

Maz

Guru
That's a much nicer avatar, lonesome_rider. Thanks.

Nick1979

Hi lonesome_rider and all,

I'm basically in the same boat as you at the moment. Just tried the Spez Allez Elite and the Trek 1.7. Honestly I haven't felt a lot of difference between the two when riding, but has it is the first time I ride an actual road bike I don't really know what to look for.

They seems to be pretty similar, the components are a bit better on the Trek (105 10 speeds instead of Tiagra) but the Spez has a carbon rear tube (don't know if it makes a difference). Personally I prefer the look of the Trek but that's a close call. I think to be brave and go with a compact as well, not so many "hors categorie" hills around London!

Can anybody suggest a similar bike but from a more 'exotic' brand maybe? (I would love to see a Bianchi for real but haven't found a LBS that stock them yet).

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

The Yorkshire Dales are overloaded with hills, not many flat runs around here. Some of the hills are next to nothing and some will kick off a heart attack no doubt (well for me anyway) :ohmy:

Due to the fact that my LBS is a matter of minutes away and that I know the guys that run it..... this is the main reason I am trying out Specialized only and no other brand.

The Tiagra thing vs 105 means very little to me and won't be something that will bother me. I also doubt it very much that I would notice the difference being a cycling novice.

The unfortunate thing is they don't stock the actual bike I am wanting (it will have to be ordered in). So I am trying the next model down.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
lonesome_rider said:
The Tiagra thing vs 105 means very little to me and won't be something that will bother me. I also doubt it very much that I would notice the difference being a cycling novice.

Shimano has a heirarchy of components, that basically goes;

Sora -> Tiagra -> 105 -> Ultegra -> Dura-Ace (as I remember, I always get 105 and Ultegra mixed up)

Complicating matters slightly is that Tiagra is 9 speed whilst 105 etc are ten speed. That means that when you come to replace your Tiagra gear, you may (potentially) have to upgrade more than the broken bit if you want to move up the heirarchy - shifters in particular are expensive bits of kit, and it may be worth future proofing slightly at this stage...

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

I honestly don't think it will be a problem for me. The thing that initially caught my eye with the Elite 08 was the colour/style. I just love the red/black mix not keen on all black and don't really like white.

Nick1979

You're right about the mixing, the Trek 1.7 actually has full 105 except a Ultegra derailleur (not bad for a £800 bike!).

So lonesome are you going for the Allez Sport instead? The opinion of the guy from my LBS was the Sport wasn't worth it, the Elite being vastly superior for just a £100 upgrade. Don't blame me, I just repeat what he told me, I personally have no idea! He said he didn't stock the Sport for this reason, the Elite being much more balanced.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

The Elite is the bike I will purchase. Its just they do not have it in stock. But they have another in the Allez range for me to try out.

The guy in my LBS said exactly the same about the Sport. For the extra £100 you were getting quite an upgrade with the Elite.

Think I will keep my MTB too... just did a quick 10 mile round trip on the canal tonight. Won't be doing that on the Elite.

Top Bottom