Is the Specialized Allez Elite 2008 OK for a novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

I have an spesh allez which i bought about four years ago, it's a cheap road bike which i think is fantastic! I was planning to upgrade it but havent felt the need. It does for me and if it were to die or get nicked i'd have another spesh without hesitation.

From what you have said i would try to get a triple chain set, it makes life easier for us mortal. Dont be a billy no mates. I live in otley, you can pm me if you fancy a ride out into the dales, Nice and easy run and a pace to suit us both, if thats not convenient there are loads of others who will go out for a ride with you wherever you live.

Good luck, dont forget to add about 100 for extras, (shoes pedals clothing etc!)

andy

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

andyfromotley said:
I have an spesh allez which i bought about four years ago, it's a cheap road bike which i think is fantastic! I was planning to upgrade it but havent felt the need. It does for me and if it were to die or get nicked i'd have another spesh without hesitation.

From what you have said i would try to get a triple chain set, it makes life easier for us mortal. Dont be a billy no mates. I live in otley, you can pm me if you fancy a ride out into the dales, Nice and easy run and a pace to suit us both, if thats not convenient there are loads of others who will go out for a ride with you wherever you live.

Good luck, dont forget to add about 100 for extras, (shoes pedals clothing etc!)

andy

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

AFAIK the Elite has a double x 9 = 18 speed. Are you saying that's not going to be enough?

I have plenty of clothing by Specialized, which cost a small fortune, but very good kit.

Going to use my MTB shoes and pedals on the Elite if I buy it. Discussed this with the dealer today and he said it was no problem. If I don't get on iwht it, I can always buy the right ones. But just trying to save forking out even more.

If all goes well and I but this. I think I need to get some regular miles in and get of my lazy arse. Went on a long ride with a sort of pro rider once (x-mate now) and thought I was going to die when I got home.

andyfromotley

Depends how fit you are i guess. I prefer the triple because there are a number of hills i couldnt get over without it, but i weigh 15.5 stone and am unfit from years of smoking. Ask your lbs, they know you and should will probably be the best judge.

Now if were trading cycling quotes;

'It never gets easier, you just get faster' Greg lemond:evil:

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

For cycling fitness, I would say I am OK sort of fit but not fit fit (if you know what I mean). Shove hill after hill in front of me and I will probably have a heart attack :biggrin:

Walking fitness is top notch as I am Postman and walk nearly 40 miles per week.

I am 13.2 stone and all the fat is around my gut. Which I REALLY want to lose. Lycra can be a very embarrassing bit of clothing when you don't have a nice flat tummy :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
lonesome_rider said:
Going to use my MTB shoes and pedals on the Elite if I buy it. Discussed this with the dealer today and he said it was no problem. If I don't get on iwht it, I can always buy the right ones. But just trying to save forking out even more.

Should be fine - I find SPDs get a bit uncomfortable on long rides (and road shoes+cleats (in my case SPD-SL) seem to me to be more efficient). I wear SPD shoes through the week though, and for the commute (between 40 minutes and and an hour) they're fine.

postman

Legendary Member
Lonesome Rider,I am the only Postman on this site.34 years service before i took the money and ran like hell nearly two years ago.I was in Otley this morning i saw two posties on bikes three bags each.And a young lady pushing the most evil looking giant box on wheels.Hope you get your bonuses just like Adam.He could by a fleet of good bikes for his lads and lasses.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

postman said:
Lonesome Rider,I am the only Postman on this site.34 years service before i took the money and ran like hell nearly two years ago.I was in Otley this morning i saw two posties on bikes three bags each.And a young lady pushing the most evil looking giant box on wheels.Hope you get your bonuses just like Adam.He could by a fleet of good bikes for his lads and lasses.
Well there are 2 of us now... one current and one ex ;)

All all in all its OK. I find its the good relationship built up with the customers that makes the job for me.

Plus on days like today when it was 23C and walking around in shorts and t-shirt :tongue:

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

The possible future bike in all its glory ;)

a.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Personally I'd go for a triple. You get 2 lower gears I think which nobody forces you to use but they're there just in case. My knees prefer me to spin up hills these days.

I have a Spesh Allez Sport which is very similar and is also red and black

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

rich p said:
Personally I'd go for a triple. You get 2 lower gears I think which nobody forces you to use but they're there just in case. My knees prefer me to spin up hills these days.

I have a Spesh Allez Sport which is very similar and is also red and black

Will pester the shop manager to death next week with 1001 questions when I have some test rides.

Top Bottom