Is the Specialized Allez Elite 2008 OK for a novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
lonesome_rider said:
The Elite is the bike I will purchase. Its just they do not have it in stock. But they have another in the Allez range for me to try out.

The guy in my LBS said exactly the same about the Sport. For the extra £100 you were getting quite an upgrade with the Elite.

Think I will keep my MTB too... just did a quick 10 mile round trip on the canal tonight. Won't be doing that on the Elite.

Like Rich I have the Sport, bought because I couldn't at that time get the Elite in the colour I wanted. I should have waited as the Elite upgrades (front forks in particular with "dampers" or whatever the inserts are called) are worth it. Apparently.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Well its been quite a day. Started off with a trip to the cinema to see The Incredible Hulk and finished off with buying a bike.

However I have not bought the bike I set out to get in the first place.

I went out on the Allez 27 speed 2008 model. Same size frame as the Elite, so as to give me some idea. I was not impressed to be honest, a little be put off really. Whether that's to do with having an MTB I don't know, but it was not what I was expecting.

So after chatting with the manager of the shop for a while, he suggested I take out the Sirrus Comp (2007) and see what I thought of that. So he set it up for me and off I went on the exact same ride. WOW what a difference it made. Had a big grin on my face and really enjoyed the ride. Far better then the other bike.

When I got back I said I would have it, no messing, I liked the ride so much.

Even better is the bike retails at £599.99 and its the last one in the shop and the 2007 model, which is a better spec than the 2008 model. I ended up getting it for £449 :wacko:

prod_2685.jpg

You can not beat taking them out for a test ride from your LBS. I certainly would not buy blind and order on-line. I am now selling my MTB and this will be my main bike for now.

So for me I have got a nice bike (well I think so) and saved myself £350 too (by not getting the Allez Elite).... what a result, happy days again ;)

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

andyfromotley said:
cool, nice bike you wont be dissapointed. (but you will want a new one soon..its the law!)

andy
Was really happy with the ride. It was not even on my radar, but its nice to be surprised by something different once in a while.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

andyfromotley said:
Well how did you get on?
andy
Not been out today apart from to take pics of old bike in back garden.

Fathers day is always crap when you have no parents ;)

Will get out on it this week though. Think I am going to buy a Garmin Edge 305. PC World are selling them for £99.97 but can I find a store with them in stock.... might as well be free.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Just got back in from a steady 15 mile ride. In a bit of a mess now though as the pollen count must crazy at the moment and I tend to suffer quite badly from it at times.... just had to take a tablet.

Anyway back to the bike... WOW... I love it, boy does it fly :biggrin: Very comfy, just need to get used to the 27 gears that are on it :sad:

Can't wait to get me Garmin Edge 305 on it this Wednesday... happy days are here again :smile: Just need some proper summer weather now, as at times the odd black cloud comes over and I don't want my new bike to get wet ;)

Top Bottom