Is the Whyte Malvern good quality ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbox

Hi
I'm just getting back in to cycling.

I intend to use it to cycle to work. I am looking for a road biased hydrid.

I went in to my local bike shop and have been looking at getting a Whyte Malvern. The bike costs £650.

Is the Whyte Malvern a good quality bike ?

Will it last a few years ?

Is it weatherproof ?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gbox

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you actually need suspension if you want a road biased hybrid? Suspension adds weight and saps energy, the fatter tyres also roll less well on the road

Bikes are of course weatherproof, dry them off, keep under cover. It should last many years if maintained

I have the fab Whyte Cambridge, more than your budget (unless you buy an older model online) but the cheaper Portobello is also very good! Will take mudguards and a rack for commuting

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, the Whyte Malvern would be a good quality bike with good components. All bikes need to be weatherproof for obvious reasons but I would keep it under cover when you store it.

The bike weighs nearly 15 kg which is quite heavy. This is in most part due to the suspension forks, so I would try to select a model without this feature. You won't notice any significant degradation in ride comfort. I have a Marin hybrid so equipped and wish I had plain forks!

You might find the 35c tyres a bit slow on the road so if you are using it mainly for commuting I would be inclined to go for something with 28c or thereabouts, although the wider tyres will be more comfortable.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As a Whyte Coniston owner I can only add that from my experience the quality of the bike holds up with many others out there within the price range. I rode a lot of hybrids when I was on a buying mission and out of all the ones I rode within the price range I liked the Whyte the best. After two years of ownership and 2000 miles ( on this bike) it still rides well, still looks good and is comfortable. I wanted on with front suspension as I do a lot canal tow path riding, if I'm doing road riding I just use the the road bike, no suspension.

Like all bike, you need to look after them and they will give you many miles of great service in all weathers.

I'm just off out on the Whyte now as it happens. Ta Ta.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Both of those bikes look good, it may or may not interest you to know that I bought my Whyte from this company, but from their retail shop in Bicester. Very good LBS, very helpful and they let me ride quite a few bikes before I made my purchase.

OP
OP
G

Gbox

I intend to do mainly road cycling but want something that can cope with gravel track rufing. The salesman said its possible to lock up the front suspension for when road riding.

Would that make it a better all round bike than the portobello ?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I intend to do mainly road cycling but want something that can cope with gravel track rufing. The salesman said its possible to lock up the front suspension for when road riding.

Would that make it a better all round bike than the portobello ?

Front suspension makes the bike easier to handle and a little more comfortable on rough tracks, tow paths and the like, wether it's worth it not I don't know, you need to work out how much off road your going to ride.

Have you ridden any of the bikes you're considering?

OP
OP
G

Gbox

I haven't ridden thr bikes I have been considering.

I didn't know that they allow you to do that.

The vast majority of the riding that I will be doing is on the road

vickster

Legendary Member
If on roads, forget suspension, it just makes the bike heavy and even locked a bit bouncy. I had a Crosstrail a few years back, comfortable on rubbish roads due to the fat tyres but not quick compared to a rigid bike with thinner tyres. Depends whether you are after speed or comfort. Also consider whether a commuter will take proper mudguards and a pannier rack

The R7 rigid hybrids take a 28mm tyres, you could add something a bit grippier but on gravel just slow down and don't brake hard

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven't ridden thr bikes I have been considering.

I didn't know that they allow you to do that.

The vast majority of the riding that I will be doing is on the road
Any good shop should let you testride if you are serious about purchasing. Evans are good for test rides, but don't sell Whyte

Dave Dusgate

Regular
I bought a Whyte Charing Cross less than 2 years ago and have only used it in good weather on roads yet already have had 3 freewheel cassettes.
my friend has had a Whyte winter road bike for just over a year and his third free wheel failed today and it was only replaced last October and has done very few miles.
Rest of bike OK but would not buy another one due to these failures

midlife

Guru
Maybe its because I'm a tight Yorkshireman but our Ridgebacks at home do a good job, their hybrids are half that price as are Treks. Evans do both iirc

Shaun

anyuser

Über Member
I bought a Whyte Charing Cross less than 2 years ago and have only used it in good weather on roads yet already have had 3 freewheel cassettes.
my friend has had a Whyte winter road bike for just over a year and his third free wheel failed today and it was only replaced last October and has done very few miles.
Rest of bike OK but would not buy another one due to these failures
Do you mean freehub failures?

Top Bottom