1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is their a bike part that could fit most bikes..

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by yenrod, 2 Feb 2008.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

..that will do the job for every dicipline aprt from the obvious ie road bars, pedals etc...:rolleyes:

2. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

Chain?
    Headset?

I don't quite follow...

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Saddle? Seatpost?

bottle cage bolts?

4. Noodley

Noodley Guest

yenners is being cryptic again...:rolleyes:

5. bianco

bianco New Member

the rider??

6. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

yes is the answer

7. simonali

simonali Über Member

I can't believe that all these years hanging around on forums hasn't taught you the difference between there, their and they're yet?!

8. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Handlebars, stem, headset, pedals, bottle cages, saddles, seat posts, chainsets, front and rear mechs, shift/brake levers. Could all be swapped from MTB to road bike and vice versa....might need a couple of minor changes to make the chainset and mechs work properly but other than that some bikes will share these parts for sure.

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Bell

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

in fact the only things that CAN'T really be swapped are frame, forks, wheels, tyres, tubes, shifters. And no before you pipe up to add 'cassette' to that list many people have road cassettes on their MTB, my mate for one has got an 8-speed 12-25 on his mtb.

11. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

The only item I can think of right now that is same fittiing for the vast majority of common road and moutain bikes is the saddle (twin rail fitting). And possibly pedals. And handle bar tape.

Other parts such as headset, bottom bracket, seat posts, handle bars come in different sizes so cannot be swapped over.

12. andygates

andygates New Member

13. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i don't think there's such a thing as an 8-speed mtb cassette, not an 8-speed road cassette. it's just that roadies don't often opt for a 28, but they're good on mtbs. if it's a shimano (compatible) hub, you can use any.

14. walker

walker New Member

Quick release'

15. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member