is their a way of preventing rusty chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

I've only had my new hybrid bike since christmas but when i was checking my bike before going out. I noticed it then but i the bike still works?. It can't be because it's worn out as i've only had the bike nearly 5 months. The discs also have a tiny bit of rust on them. Do you know how this is possible? as i've had my new bike less then a year.

Drago

Legendary Member
Regular cleaning and lubing.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I've only had my new hybrid bike since christmas but when i was checking my bike before going out. I noticed it then but i the bike still works?. It can't be because it's worn out as i've only had the bike nearly 5 months. The discs also have a tiny bit of rust on them. Do you know how this is possible? as i've had my new bike less then a year.

As Drago says, keep it clean and oiled.
After oiling the chain run the pedals round a few times and leave it a while then wipe the chain to get the excess oil off.

Never leave the chain wet after the rain.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Do you know how this is possible?

"Iron and steel rust when they come into contact with water and oxygen. They rust faster in salty water or acid rain."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebi...eway/chemical_resources/making_carsrev1.shtml

HTH

donaldFom

Actually, yeah, the best way to prevent rusty chain - just lube it! And don't forget to clean the chain after)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The chain will also rust quickly if after a wet ride the bike is stored in a warm place, such as a hallway or room without wiping the chain down.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
"Iron and steel rust when they come into contact with water and oxygen. They rust faster in salty water or acid rain."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebi...eway/chemical_resources/making_carsrev1.shtml

HTH
And we have had a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng winter with much more salt being spread on the roads than normal for the UK.

I did a pre-Christmas dinner ride once and had to rush back to get washed and changed for the meal so I put cleaning the bike off until Boxing Day. When I looked at the chain the next day, I discovered that it was already heavily rusted. That had taken less than 22 hours due to the amount of salty crap that I had left on the chain overnight!

Top Bottom