is their a way of preventing rusty chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're not married, then?
He was ... :whistle:

WelshJon

Soon as I get in I hose the bike down with fresh water, towel dry. WD40 to displace water in the chain and then lube/wipe ,wipe, wipe.

Soon as I get in I hose the bike down with fresh water, towel dry. WD40 to displace water in the chain and then lube/wipe ,wipe, wipe.
Cripes.
Must admit i can never be bothered. Last thing I feel like doing after a ride. I just keep the chain well oiled. If there's rust in the morning, oil chain, give a rub, ride it to work the oil in. Have never had a significant problem with rusty chains. Perhaps I'm blessed.

Sorry, just no. Take the chain off the bike and shake it all about (as above) as they used to say. He also says it is important to clean the rest of the drivetrain. It is of course far easier to do that with the chain off. He also uses one of those dreaded chain cleaning "machines". And introduces degreaser to the cassette. No need to do that at all and then no need to worry about bearings. Just get the rear wheel off, run a piece of cloth, preferably with a strong thin hem (bit of old shirt or friendly donor's underwear fine) and run it back and forth between the sprockets. Takes no time. Nailbrush tip is good, may get a pair for running between links of my cleaned chain drying on the washing line. Keep it simple folks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try owning an elderly Land Rover. After driving on wet salty roads you can stick your nose in the wheel arch and actually smell the distinctive odour of electro-chemical oxidation happening. They were actually designed deliberately to rust, I reckon, because the mechanical components can go on for ever with a little maintenance and LR would have gone out of business if they had never sold any new ones.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just had the first ride of the season on the best bike, which is cossetted indoors while there's salt on the roads. Mind you I was over-dressed and probably sweated a fair bit of salt onto the bike last night.

GuyBoden

Guru
kind depends on the women you're living with, i'm amazed and eternally grateful my mrs agrees to me keeping the bike in the study, where I can attend to it at random and constantly admire it !!!:becool:...........

But, this would be pushing your luck.
49b6df_be691f9767424e41b86e2267d557467a~mv2.jpg

keithmac

Guru
Gates Carbon (Belt) Drive for me, it's been a revelation.

Back to OP you need to lube/ oil it regularly or it will rust.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've just had the first ride of the season on the best bike, which is cossetted indoors while there's salt on the roads. Mind you I was over-dressed and probably sweated a fair bit of salt onto the bike last night.

I've had a couple of Discos and can confirm that the speed at which the rot moves long the chassis is faster than the diesel versions accelerate. Mrs D has banned me from buying them ever again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Good grief ! Just oil the fecker once a week and it'll be fine.

A very keen cyclist at work chatting in the bike shed said "your bike's a disgrace, but the chain has no rust on it" His super clean bike had the chain go rusty in no time.

Top Bottom