Is there a better tyre than a Continental Gatorskin for a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Mine have now done 6500 miles with one puncture. Because back tyres tend to wear more I swapped back to front after 3000 miles and they are still riding well. They may not be the lightest but I'm really impressed.
Is there a better tyre for longevity and puncture resistance?

U

User482

They're certainly tough, but I would expect a similar riding experience by coiling a garden hosepipe around my rims.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Mine have now done 6500 miles with one puncture. Because back tyres tend to wear more I swapped back to front after 3000 miles and they are still riding well. They may not be the lightest but I'm really impressed.
Is there a better tyre for longevity and puncture resistance?
:popcorn:

As a starting point;
Best per mile/puncture/pence: probably the Rubino
Best per mile/puncture: Marathons
Best for mile/puncture/performance: Duranos

After a disastrous flirtation with GP 4 Seasons a few years back I doubt I'll ever go near a Continental tyre again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They served me well, but they are very expensive.

Moved to Durano Plus 'Performance' for bomb proofness on the commute. As there will be no commutes now, that doesn't matter any more.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Give the whole area to the displaced Tibetans. And Liverpool innit.

Next
You think I'd listen to an anti-continentalist when all my bikes, road and mtb, run on contis? ;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Schwalbe One Tubeless.
Slightly quicker on this than on the regular Durano which I used for a while, after a flirtation with Michelin Pro4 Endurance.

:popcorn:
....I doubt I'll ever go near a Continental tyre again.
Likewise - they are just too hard to fit compared with Schwalbe

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You think I'd listen to an anti-continentalist when all my bikes, road and mtb, run on contis? ;)
It depends where you're riding but from what I've seen, there seems to be a sort of flint common in West/North Norfolk that goes through Gatorskins pretty easily but is resisted by competitor tyres from Schwalbe and Vittoria. YMMV

Top Bottom