Is there a better tyre than a Continental Gatorskin for a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
I've had gatorskins on mine for around 4k miles give or take. Not bothered changing tyres for turbo trainer either just carried on regardless. Not a single 'P' and I ride a lot on lanes in the winter.

I literally can't believe how tough they are. Think the rear is starting to show a few signs of wear so I'll probably change it soon but they've served me well and i'd recommend them to anyone no problems. Strange though how some have problems with them. Tempted to get some gp4000's for the summer though.

outlash

also available in orange
If we're answering the OP's question if there's a better tyre than Gatorskins, then yes. Lots.
None made by Continental either.

fatjel

Veteran
I prefer Michelin lithion 2 .. Did 9000 miles last year with one puncture and new tyres after 6000

Clawed Butler

I don't have any metrics, but a few years back I tried a number of well recommended tyres with decent levels of puncture resistance. Gatorskins failed for me because although I am not heavy I kept getting pinch flats and sidewall punctures (the centre is like rhino hide but the side walls are relatively thin); also they looked fat on my bie and seemed hard work.

I finally settled on Vredestein Fortezza Quattro (now Fortezza Senso), which I love. They do get cut up quite easily on flints, but mostly the Kevlar prevents these gashes turning into punctures, and a pair of tyres lasts me the best part of a year. I have these tyres on both my commuting and best bike, and wouldn't bother to change them unless I was going to ride on perfect roads somewhere.

Can recommend Clement strada LGG's(25's),been riding on them since last August and all through winter with only one small puncture,nice compromise between cost,puncture resistance and speed.

Before that had Vittoria Open Paves which were lovely;cut up a lot but only punctured when theb rear was worn,don't last long though.

The Planet X commuter is now on tubeles Hutchinson Sectors and they have been brilliant so far,still early days though.

Best bike now has tubeless rims on and have some Schwalbe Pro Ones on so we'll see how they go.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
The Cube Peloton I bought over Xmas has Conti Ultra Sport 2's on. After having one puncture on my BTwin all last year (Hutchinson Equinox 2, followed by Vittoria Rubino Pro's), on Sunday I got two flats, one a puncture. I suspected that these Contis have the puncture resistance of a wet tissue, and bicyclerollingresistance.com bears that out.

I smell a pair of Schwalbe One V-Guards coming on.

potsy

Rambler
Not a fan of Conti tyres, much prefer Schwalbe but I'm sure most of that is down to luck.
Replaced the tissue paper thin Specialized tyres on my Secteur with Conti 4 seasons and punctured 2nd time out :rolleyes:

Tried gator's too but again a couple of flats in quick succession made me make the switch to Schwalbe, haven't looked back since.

Had my first outing on Michelin Lithion 2 tyres today.
Wow, what an improvement to the Luganos I had on before. Seem a lot easier to roll along on.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm not sure about continental gp4000s any more. I might be unlucky but I keep getting splits in the side walls of mine, well three times now. Just found another one in a tyre that's done about 400 miles. I'm not sure what to try next.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was lucky if i went more than 500 miles without a puncture on gators , switched to rubino pros and none so far in over 1700 miles.

Top Bottom