Is there a bike computer with a pause function?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Does anybody know if there is a bike computer with a pause function so you can basically tell it to stop recording? I ask this because sometimes, particularly when touring, you end up pushing the bike around town centres etc. usually at 4 kph and this brings the average speed reading down, so it would be nice to be able to tell the computer to ignore things until you press the button again.

jimboalee

Yup.

I remember the Cateye Mity has a manual overide feature to start and stop recording.
I used one for Audax to continue calculating the average while the bike was parked outside the cafes. - opposite to your requirements :sad:

I have one of these somewhere, from days before Garmin.
It is a complete set. The first was nicked, so I bought another and didn't use the handlebar mount, magnet or cabling.

Excellent bit of kit, but suffers from water/rain shorting the terminals.

bonj2

that would be good wouldn't it - choose your average speed, then press 'pause' whenever you're doing less than that, and your average speed will always be greater than what you want it to be.

Ravenz

Polar CS series.. automatically pauses when wheel speed drops to nil stopped.. or very very very slow

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
particularly when touring, . . . . and this brings the average speed reading down, so it would be nice to be able to tell the computer to ignore . . . .

Computer ? Average speed? Touring?
And I thought I'd seen everything when I saw (Arch's) elephant fly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Garmin Edge series does that.
You can set it to stop recording at either "stopped" ie at traffic lights or you can set a speed ie 4kph

Plax

Guru
I have a Cateye Enduro 8 computer. You can set that up to manually have to press the stop and start button or you can just use the auto button.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks for all the tips. I'll make some sort of decision and spend a summer with better speed averages which will be set, young Tim, on a bike which is not a mincing, featherweight, anorexic TdF type thing.

Alves

Better still get one without an average speed function.
I used to be tormented by lwo average speeds sometimes, have a nice day out spoiled by a "slow" ride and then I realised it was a monkey on my back I could do without and replaced a multifunction one with a simpler version and now I never know my average speed and its no longer something to bother about, I just enjoy the ride whatever.
"Above all, simplify"

peanut

Alves said:
Better still get one without an average speed function.
I used to be tormented by lwo average speeds sometimes, have a nice day out spoiled by a "slow" ride and then I realised it was a monkey on my back I could do without and replaced a multifunction one with a simpler version and now I never know my average speed and its no longer something to bother about, I just enjoy the ride whatever.
"Above all, simplify"

there is a lot to be said for that suggestion . I too am obsessed by average speed . I transfer it to graphs on my PC and agonise over the results. was it windier than last week ? was there a headwind up the second hill etc :rolleyes:

Not having average speed is a bit like not wearing a watch for the day on a day off. The whole day is a big surprise ...especially when you realise you have taken the wrong day off lol:biggrin::biggrin:

the answer to the question is buy an old computer. I have three all of which have an on/off switch .My Cateye Vectra is 20 years old this year

bonj2

i dont' like knowing my speed while i'm riding.
it doesn't really matter unless you're racing.
even if you are racing it's best to measure your speed by how many people finish after you.

Chrisz

Über Member
I must confess - I too used to be a slave to the little black box. Now I have it so that I can't very easily read it whilst on the move but it still records my ride for later analysis/logging. I tend now to go much more by 'feel' than by heart rates, average speed etc. I also get to see a lot more of the countryside as my attention isn,t fixed on avoiding slowing down or braking at the last minute to keep the Av. up :tongue: :biggrin:

Top Bottom