Is there a more expensive sausage roll out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Overrated?

I’ll disagree: far and away the loveliest services on our motorway network. maybe that makes me pretentious :wacko:
Food is all local and delicious. Expensive? Maybe a bit, but all services are overpriced....you can take your own packup and sit by their little lake if you prefer!

Cafe Ventoux In Leicestershire brought out a tray of fresh sausage rolls the last time we dropped in a week or two back: they were truly massive, & utterly delicious...can’t recall the price (big cake plus coffee with it totalled £9 - a full meal, had to take the cake home!) but highly recommended!
Pure greed charging £9.00 for a sausage roll, a bun and a coffee. The mark up is too high IMO.

vickster

Legendary Member
Pure greed charging £9.00 for a sausage roll, a bun and a coffee. The mark up is too high IMO.
Do you run a business yourself? Premises to run, staff to pay, tax to pay etc etc etc...

irw

Quadricyclist
I've not seen the price of sausage rolls but in a train station a cornish pasty was £6.00 at one of those stalls that just sells pasties. I would rather starve than pay that. I always take a pack up when going out for the day etc to avoid being stung like this.

I was about to say, I'm pretty sure I paid about £4 for a sausage roll from a 'Cornish Pasty Co' stand at a train station once. In my defence, I think it must have been the only place open at the time, but to be fair, I remember thinking 'this had better be the best sausage roll I've ever eaten', and I don't remember being disappointed...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They have 'home made' sausage rolls in the pie and cake shop on the local high street. They are £1.50,or £2.50 with mushy peas and 'meaty gravy'. I haven't had one before,so I'm going to buy one (without the peas and gravy) tomorrow and give it my review to you fellow CCers.🧐

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A little 'Accy anecdote' for you. My mum and dad went down to their then local pub for the New Year's Eve celebrations in 1974. They left me and brother some sausage rolls and other stuff to eat. I had a sausage roll and it made me xx(. After that i developed a sausage roll phobia. :unsure: I didn't touch a sausage roll again,till my wedding reception nearly 17 years later.🧐

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

j38 Truck Stop is my choice , full english :smile:
Same here. Good honest food at reasonable prices and owned/run by the same family as the posh effort up the road... hence my previous statement.

Granted you don't get the boomy decor-less restaurant and fake concrete pond like you do up the road at Tebay Services, but at least you're not paying for it.

BTW they own Rheghed too

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

BTW they own Rheghed too
now that's an over-rated petrol station if ever I've seen one!

On the subject of sausage rolls... the best ones come from Workington. Cumberland sausage in shortcrust pastry... but getting to Workington is the problem, and there's bugger all else there. The second best can be found in Keswick, same concept, Cumberland sausage and shortcrust pastry and at a reasonable price, until i factor in the bus fare.... but it's worth it. :okay:

mikeIow

Guru
It‘s a good job we live in a world of choice then....you can stick with the bargain Greggs, I will continue to seek out the independent coffee shops, & yes, accept that there is a tiny premium to pay for helping keep them going.

I do recommend you steer clear of Cafe Ventoux....which is a shame for you - it is a favourite spot for many cyclists (the clue is in the name!).
Calling it a “sausage roll, a bun and a coffee” really doesn’t capture the sheer deliciousness of it all!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've not been to Tebay for a few years, but was unimpressed at my last visit.

Over priced food which was not particularly good, and the seating area was grubby and tatty.

The experience was not improved by the weather, which was blowing a gale and wet.

All you would've got from sitting by their pond that day is exposure.

mikeIow

Guru
I've not been to Tebay for a few years, but was unimpressed at my last visit.

Over priced food which was not particularly good, and the seating area was grubby and tatty.

The experience was not improved by the weather, which was blowing a gale and wet.

All you would've got from sitting by their pond that day is exposure.
We last summer between lockdowns.
18751585-334B-4958-8916-B540E667F777.jpeg
Food was nice (if a bit pricy....but name a delightful spot on a motorway services that isn’t *and* has views and a nice atmosphere!)
Newer Southbound side less attractive views, imho.

D

Deleted member 23692

We last summer between lockdowns.
View attachment 585856 Food was nice (if a bit pricy....but name a delightful spot on a motorway services that isn’t *and* has views and a nice atmosphere!)
Newer Southbound side less attractive views, imho.
Easy .... Killington, also on the M6. It's a shame it's only for southbound traffic though

Top Bottom