Is there a more expensive sausage roll out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Did you have a whoosh moment there? ^_^
Would that have been as a result of eating a tepid Gregg's sausage roll? :whistle:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
The problem with expensive sausages in expensive sausage rolls is that the sausages contain too much meat. To my mind, an expensive sausage that is advertised as, say, 95+% meat is not a sausage at all but simply unappetising and rather dry chewy meat in a tube shape.

A proper sausage should have meat minced to an inch of its life plus a significant proportion of rusk and fat to give the right texture, along with some tasty seasoning. A sausage roll should be incapable of being handled without leaving a modest layer of grease on you that has oozed through the pastry base, so a Greggs one ticks all the boxes.

I'm half-serious here, btw - I do much prefer cheap sausage rolls provided the pastry is good, so Greggs wins again.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You southerners if you’re ever up my neck of the woods you want to try Stephens the bakers steak Bridies . :ohmy:
https://steakbridie.com/
McNees deli in Crieff does lovely bridies of different kinds fresh out of the oven around 12 if you are ever passing through too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The problem with expensive sausages in expensive sausage rolls is that the sausages contain too much meat. To my mind, an expensive sausage that is advertised as, say, 95+% meat is not a sausage at all but simply unappetising and rather dry chewy meat in a tube shape.

A proper sausage should have meat minced to an inch of its life plus a significant proportion of rusk and fat to give the right texture, along with some tasty seasoning. A sausage roll should be incapable of being handled without leaving a modest layer of grease on you that has oozed through the pastry base, so a Greggs one ticks all the boxes.

I'm half-serious here, btw - I do much prefer cheap sausage rolls provided the pastry is good, so Greggs wins again.

As I get older I like increasingly plainer food.

A plain supermarket sausage is much nicer to me than some clever clever artisan brand at two or three times the price.

Speaking of which, an acquaintance of mine is due to marry one of the owners of Heck Sausages.

I get the impression they're well-minted - the Heck family, not the sausages - so it looks like there's good money in pretentious bangers.

Tribansman

Veteran
I find it very hard to get them right - firm white and runny yolk - but when I do, they're a nice healthy alternative to fried eggs.

But boiled eggs were made to be pickled. Pickled egg, chips and curry sauce a great post ride refuel 🤤

Top Bottom