Is there a piano teacher in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A keyboard?! You can't dress like a toff and learn to play piano on a keyboard.

True, but I suppose there are retro 'posh' style keyboards available.🤔

stephec

Legendary Member
She told me that she uses a keyboard, not an actual piano in her lessons. I suppose things have moved on since the old school days of sitting at a dusty 'proper' piano. At least if I were to have lessons and became good enough to want to own a piano there wouldn't be the problem of getting a real piano up my flat's narrow staircase.:okay:

Edit... and I suppose you can plug headphones into these keyboards so that the neighbours aren't affected by Les Dawson comedy style piano playing, when practicing.:whistle:

We bought an upright piano when my little girl started to learn, on the advice of her teacher, the weight of the keys on a keyboard doesn't simulate the keys of a piano.

Plus having a proper piano in the house makes you well posh. 😂

AndyRM

XOXO
We bought an upright piano when my little girl started to learn, on the advice of her teacher, the weight of the keys on a keyboard doesn't simulate the keys of a piano.

Exactly. You can learn where the notes are and timing on a keyboard but you can't learn how to play piano, unless you want to sound like a robot.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've seen a few old pianos for sale in charity shops/stores over the last few years. I suppose such 'bargains' will need tuning. While thinking about piano lessons I thought about my old school's piano tuner in the early to mid 1970's. He was totally blind.🤔

Going back to those days, our music teacher at the time used to stick drawing pins in the school piano's keys to make a harpsichord affect/sound.🤔

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
If you get a piano, yes, it will need to be tuned. They are incredibly delicate instruments. No reason why you'd need to be able to see to tune one, isn't it often the case that other senses, particularly hearing, become heightened if you lose your sight?

I've no clue what the idea with using pins on a piano is, but it won't have emulated a harpsichord.

postman

Legendary Member

Oh no right posh is aving a fruit bowl on your piano when nobody is ill.Mind you you have to be 65 or over to understand that.

DRM

Guru
1665934334477.jpeg

This looks like a snazzy outfit for the upcoming lesson

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've no clue what the idea with using pins on a piano is, but it won't have emulated a harpsichord
Oh right, so you must be a qualified music teacher like the bloke who stuck the pins in the keys. I remember it well. it took him a while to do it, but to me and the rest of the class it did sound like a harpsichord.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Did that not just wind you up to prove her wrong?

Not really. I'm sufficiently ancient to have some self-knowledge of my limitations. The lady who made the comment didn't mean it in a cruel way. Anyway, I have friend my age who decided to learn the piano a few years ago and he was absolutely single-minded about it. He hired a concert pianist as his teacher and spent at least two hours each day practicing. He's really good now. I don't have the moolah or the dedication. I stick to being a tenor while lying in the bath.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Oh no right posh is aving a fruit bowl on your piano when nobody is ill.Mind you you have to be 65 or over to understand that.

The other week I visited an old friend in hospital. I took him some grapes and would've taken a bottle of Lucozade, but it's not in a glass bottle with the crinkly orange cellophane bit covering the top of the bottle these days, so the 'laugh' might've gone a bit flat.:rolleyes: Even the grapes were in a plastic box, not a brown paper bag.🧐

Top Bottom