Is there a piano teacher in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We have been commissioned to buy a piano tutor for an adult. The person in question has reasonable experience of singing in a choir and a degree involving music. Their treble clef reading is fluent, and there will be a good grounding in theory. Years ago they had a few lessons but have barely played since, but they have now inherited a piano.

My immediate reaction was "find a local teacher", but for a number of reasons I don't think that will happen. My attempts while we were visiting to bring up the subject and ask some sensible questions didn't work, so I don't even know what sort of music would be of interest - though my best guess would be classical in its broadest sense.

My experience of learning to play the piano was over 40 years ago, so I'm feeling clueless. I will probably go into Foyles and see what they have, but some suggestions would be useful. I will send it with the advice to focus on making a beautiful, even sound and going slowly, but not so slowly that you get stuck. Oh, and learn scales - and there will be a lot of frustration and tedium.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are lots of free online piano lessons which might well be worth a look?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We have been commissioned to buy a piano tutor for an adult. The person in question has reasonable experience of singing in a choir and a degree involving music. Their treble clef reading is fluent, and there will be a good grounding in theory. Years ago they had a few lessons but have barely played since, but they have now inherited a piano.

My immediate reaction was "find a local teacher", but for a number of reasons I don't think that will happen. My attempts while we were visiting to bring up the subject and ask some sensible questions didn't work, so I don't even know what sort of music would be of interest - though my best guess would be classical in its broadest sense.

My experience of learning to play the piano was over 40 years ago, so I'm feeling clueless. I will probably go into Foyles and see what they have, but some suggestions would be useful. I will send it with the advice to focus on making a beautiful, even sound and going slowly, but not so slowly that you get stuck. Oh, and learn scales - and there will be a lot of frustration and tedium.
It depends a lot on the age and musical experience of the learner but some of the lower grade examiners' syllabuses might give you some ideas.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We have been commissioned to buy a piano tutor for an adult.
It's been brought to my attention that "buy a piano tutor" might not be clear. I'm looking for a book that will teach an adult how to play the piano. Not a website, a teacher, or a children's class, but a book. For those of you who learnt music a long time off, something like "A tune a day", but for an intelligent adult who can read music and understand music theory, and is living in 2017 not 1977.

Thank you to those of you who have tried to answer - but in different ways the answers don't help. I'm still hoping there might be a piano teacher in the house.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thread revival, instead of new thread asking about the same topic time.

There I was yesterday talking to a woman in the retro clothing shop I work in when she mentioned that she's a piano and vocals teacher. I asked her if at nearly 62 I'm too old to learn the piano. She gave me her number and told me to phone her to arrange a half hour where she'll be able to tell if I have potential or not. Do you think I should give it a go?🤔

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

There I was yesterday talking to a woman in the retro clothing shop I work in when she mentioned that she's a piano and vocals teacher. I asked her if at nearly 62 I'm too old to learn the piano. She gave me her number and told me to phone her to arrange a half hour where she'll be able to tell if I have potential or not. Do you think I should give it a go?🤔

I asked a woman a similar question ten years ago after a lifetime of regret about giving up piano lessons.

"Forget it, you are too old to learn." That stung.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I asked a woman a similar question ten years ago after a lifetime of regret about giving up piano lessons.

"Forget it, you are too old to learn." That stung.
As in 'The Sting'? :whistle: ;)

Last edited:

DRM

Guru

Of course you should, nothing ventured, nothing gained, as per the guitarist & bassist thread, I started online learning guitar, 11 months on I can now do things that were a pipe dream a year ago, ring her up, have a lesson, if you like it I should imagine there will be exercises that may seem tedious at first but will give you a good grounding in technique, remember slow and steady wins the race, and in my experience you never stop learning an instrument, the feeling when you learn a song is tremendous.

All uphill

Still rolling along

Ms AU is a piano teacher; her reply to your question was to ask how strongly you are motivated to learn.

If its a passing fancy, forget it.
If you are prepared to work at it, and accept that it will take time and persistence then give it a try.

I think you should try it if only to provide people here with 24 pages of entertainment!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Of course you should, nothing ventured, nothing gained, as per the guitarist & bassist thread, I started online learning guitar, 11 months on I can now do things that were a pipe dream a year ago, ring her up, have a lesson, if you like it I should imagine there will be exercises that may seem tedious at first but will give you a good grounding in technique, remember slow and steady wins the race, and in my experience you never stop learning an instrument, the feeling when you learn a song is tremendous.

If its a passing fancy, forget it.
If you are prepared to work at it, and accept that it will take time and persistence then give it a try.
She told me that she uses a keyboard, not an actual piano in her lessons. I suppose things have moved on since the old school days of sitting at a dusty 'proper' piano. At least if I were to have lessons and became good enough to want to own a piano there wouldn't be the problem of getting a real piano up my flat's narrow staircase.:okay:

Edit... and I suppose you can plug headphones into these keyboards so that the neighbours aren't affected by Les Dawson comedy style piano playing, when practicing.:whistle:

Top Bottom