Is there a place for the Quiche?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
nowt wrong with quiche, although it really should be called omelette pie. And none of this frittata nonsense, it's just a fecking omelette, as is a crustless quiche... but I'll stand by the quiche, in all its guises.

Quiche is nice to have when you are doing brunch with your girlfriends. On a practical note, it is fairly controllable on the fork, essential if you are wearing an expensive designer dress ( and what other kind of dress is there?)

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
This is going to sound a bit strange but in a previous job we had a kind of lunch club and took turns to take food in. My offering was a quiche every Friday. I made it a thing to come up with a different filling every week.
Its surprising how many variations are possible.
Some favourites were:
Carrot and coriander with the carrots nicely caramelised
Stilton with a layer of onion jam on the bottom
A Christmas quiche with stuffing balls and sprouts
Baked beans in the bottom with a mature cheese
Pureed butternut squash (strangely good)

I wish I hade kept a record of each one now

figbat

Slippery scientist
A slice of quiche makes for a good light meal, perhaps with a side salad or some boiled potatoes. Of course it all depends on the pastry and the filling as to whether it’s nice or not, but that applies equally for a pie or any other dish really.

I wouldn’t be choosing between a pie and a quiche as they are for different occasions - unless we’re talking about a pork pie.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If you make your own quiche from scratch with nice free range eggs, they can be nice. The supermarket ones can be really horrible and tasteless especially ones with watery veg in.
Saying that I wont eat buffet food at all, I think its horrible and cheap and tasteless.
This!

Home made with lots of diced and fried bacon, golden fried onions and mushrooms, nice pastry that's blind baked until crisp before any wet egg is added, really good eggs with dark yolks, and strong cheddar grated on the top, and we are very much into delicious territory.

Supermarket or cheap cafe / buffet quiche, non merci. Different thing altogether.

Oh and it's either light meal (lunch) or even snack food I'd say. Not a dinner.

presta

Guru
I eat quiche, hot or cold, it's one of the few things I'll reheat in the microwave. If I have to stay somewhere where there's no kitchen when I'm touring, I usually buy a quiche for dinner and eat it cold. I like cheese & onion, but I usually eat broccoli & tomato because it's lower fat.
Years ago my friend went out with Lorraine, he used to call her ‘Quiche Lorraine’.
There was a guy at work who used to say to the secretary "Go on, give us a quiche, Lorraine".

Ready made quiche is... not very nice. Even the really expensive ones. They're usually tasteless and have a soggy bottom.

Much prefer making my own.

Salmon, dill and creme fraiche is nice, as is cheese & leek and bacon & onion, or even just a roasted mediterranean veg one. The trick is to over-season it slightly. I don't use a recipe - if you put in enough eggs and cream, it'll set.

As for the other choices, it would depend what kind of mood I'm in.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Ready made quiche is... not very nice. Even the really expensive ones. They're usually tasteless and have a soggy bottom.

Much prefer making my own.

Salmon, dill and creme fraiche is nice, as is cheese & leek and bacon & onion, or even just a roasted mediterranean veg one. The trick is to over-season it slightly. I don't use a recipe - if you put in enough eggs and cream, it'll set.

As for the other choices, it would depend what kind of mood I'm in.
Seems to be common complaint about ready made quiche.

I might give it go, cook it myself.

D

Deleted member 26715

Never found a bought quiche that was nice, usually still almost runny, homemade is best accompanied with some Branston

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think people buy quiches because they are quick and easy not for the taste really. the best ones by a mile are those from M and S from what I've had.
I honestly think you are better off with an omelette as opposed to a cold quiche. They have to be heated for me and even then I'd have to be desperate to eat one.

Top Bottom