Is there a place for the Quiche?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Mrs Optic cooks a mean goat‘s cheese and red pepper quiche with much thyme and garlic.

She does use ready-made savoury flan cases from Sainsbury’s on the premise of “life’s too short…”

serve warm with salad and buttered new spuds

I suppose this forms a deviation point in this thread.

What's the best quiche flavours, fillings, adulterants etc?

I do like bit of bacon and cheese, bacon and sage or chorizo, tomato and onion...

Can't go wrong with cheese and onion... Although smoked haddock (or basa) and strong cheese is lush, as is salmon (the smoked fillets off the Tesco fish counter, gently steamed), dill and creme fraiche.

More commonly, quiche* here chez Casa Reynard tends to be a "wang in what needs using up" job... :blush:

* likewise pizza

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
The place where I put quiche is dessert. Most desserts, especially those offered by restaurants, I find sickeningly sweet. So I would order a quiche for dessert. This sometimes meets with the response 'I'm afraid that's a starter, Sir', implying it cannot be served for dessert. So I reply 'Then I'll start it for dessert'. This usually wins the argument, although there have been occasions where the waiter has eventually gone off and consulted with the manager who then has to do some complicated keyboarding on the cash register before the order finally goes through.

Since we apparently have an obesity and sugar-overload problem in the western world I often wonder if we should not introduce a regulation obliging restaurants to offer at least one savoury as an alternative to sweet desserts. Even better, a range of savouries. Anyway, for me, that is where quiche belongs.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In answer to the thread title - "No, unless you count the bin". Why oh why when you have endless other foods available would anyone think "I fancy quiche"?

GilesM

Legendary Member
I love quiche, can eat just about any type hot or cold (although some broccoli ones get a bit watery), any time of the day, a Deli in North Berwick does small black pudding and bacon quiche, which is basically a very good pre-cooked breakfast, and it is perfect for camping or early picnics.

Jody

Stubborn git
In answer to the thread title - "No, unless you count the bin". Why oh why when you have endless other foods available would anyone think "I fancy quiche"?

Have to agree. Quiche is very much in the same group as what I think of as Sunday tea type fayre. It's all a no for me.

Quiche, flan, beetroot, coleslaw, pork pie etc xx(

Top Bottom