Is there a stigma to only wear a cap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
At least in the UK you have a choice: in Australia, there's more than a stigma associated with not wearing a bicycle helmet whilst cycling. :sad:
In Australia theres more than a stigma associated with simp,y riding a bicycle. You're second class scum, worthy only of insults, derision, and even bodily harm. Alas, in my experience of what is otherwise a wonderful country, the average citizens attitude to any kind of non mainstream subject or minority is akin the the 1950's here, and that's being generous.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
In Australia theres more than a stigma associated with simp,y riding a bicycle. You're second class scum, worthy only of insults, derision, and even bodily harm. Alas, in my experience of what is otherwise a wonderful country, the average citizens attitude to any kind of non mainstream subject or minority is akin the the 1950's here, and that's being generous.
Agreed, hence my forum signature line. :sad:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
In summer i always wear head protection. Being somewhat bereft of hair, I start off with Factor 30. If I feel myself overheating later in the ride I always have a bandana in a pocket.

My Motorola cap snapped the brim. Might try to find a Carerra version.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I always wear a cycling cap under my helmet - it keeps the rain off my glasses (which I also always wear) and the sun out of my eyes. And it looks cool!

I‘d prefer not to always wear a helmet but I have epilepsy and my wife worries (she has OCD and anxiety issues) that any bang to the head will be devastating, especially as my epilepsy isn’t entirely under control at the moment. So I wear a helmet to help her mental health, and a cap for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Riding with a nice cap is a joy. Here I am out riding on my recumbent. Café Du Cycliste if interested in getting something similar.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your observation Kevfm, as in the 'quiet lanes' that's what I see too.

Whilst I see quite a few cyclists around town not wearing helmets, they are mostly kids, utility cyclists or people who look like they have just had their car repossessed. Lots without helmets on canal paths too, but out of town on the roads it's extremely rare around here to see anyone without a helmet.

I'm sure that 40% of cyclists not wearing helmets statistic is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 40% did 90% of the miles.
People who look like they've had their car repossessed.

That's the look I'm going for! No helmet, no cap , no lycra. Just hair, sun tan and t-shirt. A person riding a bike.

faster

Über Member
People who look like they've had their car repossessed.

That's the look I'm going for! No helmet, no cap , no lycra. Just hair, sun tan and t-shirt. A person riding a bike.

I'm not sure if you've quite achieved the look.

If you let most of the air out of your tyres and un-clipped the straddle cable on both brakes, it would definitely help.

I pretty much always wear a helmet myself, in 10 years I got through about 6 of them:

1) went into the back of a car that pulled out on me
2) hit my head on a gate post trying to ride up my house's front path
3) came off while trail riding
4) came off on a zebra crossing in the wet
5) head butted a policeman's body armour who crossed the road without looking properly.
6) hit over the head with a 2L pop bottle as I rode past some knobheads.

My point is not that cycling is dangerous and you must wear a helmet, simply that through a few incidents of my own making, and a couple caused by other people, I'm glad I had a helmet on.

At the end of the day, it's your head.

Top Bottom