Is there a stigma to only wear a cap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I pretty much always wear a helmet myself, in 10 years I got through about 6 of them:

1) went into the back of a car that pulled out on me
2) hit my head on a gate post trying to ride up my house's front path
3) came off while trail riding
4) came off on a zebra crossing in the wet
5) head butted a policeman's body armour who crossed the road without looking properly.
6) hit over the head with a 2L pop bottle as I rode past some knobheads.

My point is not that cycling is dangerous and you must wear a helmet, simply that through a few incidents of my own making, and a couple caused by other people, I'm glad I had a helmet on.

At the end of the day, it's your head.
Incidents 1, 2, 5 and 6 are outside the design spec of helmets. Incident 3 is only inside the spec of some Snell-approved helmets. And there still remains the elephant in the room of why helmet users crash more often. I'm certainly not rushing to use helmets again and start crashing more again. But it's your head.

classic33

Leg End Member
Incidents 1, 2, 5 and 6 are outside the design spec of helmets. Incident 3 is only inside the spec of some Snell-approved helmets. And there still remains the elephant in the room of why helmet users crash more often. I'm certainly not rushing to use helmets again and start crashing more again. But it's your head.
Do we, and where is that information available from?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think I probably look like a bit of a tramp when cycling :laugh:

I know I look like a tramp when cycling - and I don't care one little bit! :laugh:
In fact the vagrant chic garb perfectly complements the unwashed dirty bike shod with shabby weathered tyres I'll more often than not be riding.

classic33

Leg End Member
I always wear a cycling cap under my helmet - it keeps the rain off my glasses (which I also always wear) and the sun out of my eyes. And it looks cool!

I‘d prefer not to always wear a helmet but I have epilepsy and my wife worries (she has OCD and anxiety issues) that any bang to the head will be devastating, especially as my epilepsy isn’t entirely under control at the moment. So I wear a helmet to help her mental health, and a cap for me.
Don't let the epilepsy dictate what you do, if possible. You're less likely to have a fit/seizure/episode/call it what you want whilst doing something you enjoy. Similar situation, not under control and on the increase.

Fair play to you for trying to put someone else's mind at ease though.

Globalti

Legendary Member

That's an interesting claim. Where did that come from?

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Don't let the epilepsy dictate what you do, if possible. You're less likely to have a fit/seizure/episode/call it what you want whilst doing something you enjoy. Similar situation, not under control and on the increase.

Fair play to you for trying to put someone else's mind at ease though.

Thanks! I try not to let it dictate my life. Aside from not cycling for a week or so after a seizure (just to be on the safe side), the main adjustment I make is not to go out until an hour or so after taking my morning medication (and not eating until about 45 mins after taking it either) to give it time to get in the bloodstream. Does make it a bit tricky with early starts for sportives (lack of sleep is one of my triggers), but no disasters yet!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dug to the bottom of my cap bag and found an old friend....

18590667-226D-4513-ACD8-F71FA6ADD13F.jpeg

Top Bottom