Is there a stigma to only wear a cap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A woman regularly used to shout "Helmet?" at me on my commute. Hers was the bike with the red flashing LED on the front :eek:
Are you sure she was talking about your headgear? :eek:

Milzy

Guru
Hopefully sometime next week I’ll be finally riding a road bike.

I don’t have a helmet at the moment. But, I did buy a cycling cap from the 1990s earlier today on eBay which I intend to wear when I’m out on the bike.

Do you wear a cycling cap? If so, do you think other cyclists judge you because of it?

I recall seeing a lot of cyclists over the years only wearing cycling caps.
Something I want to do in real life but it's not worth the risk so I do it in Zwift.

Brads

Ummm for starters as a woman, the beard might be a bad choice.... :ph34r:

And Rapha...trying FAR too hard to be cool :whistle:

Lol I'm sure bearded women held a certain appeal at one time.

And I don't NEED to try I'll have you know hahaha :tongue:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I don’t have a helmet at the moment. But, I did buy a cycling cap from the 1990s earlier today on eBay which I intend to wear when I’m out on the bike.
From hard-earned experience, always wear the helmet as well. I have been riding since the days when protective headgear was limited to something which looked like a string of sausages wrapped round the head of track cyclists only. Bareheaded, I somehow survived a head-on collision with a van whose driver lost control and veered onto the wrong side of the road. You can be in control of yourself but you cannot control the road conditions nor the behaviours of other road users.

Heads can be very delicate. A lucky club cyclist such as myself may come away from a potentially fatal accident with no apparant long-term damage (even though my riding partner on the day thought at first that I was dead). Yet a highly skilled speed demon such as Michael Schumacher, wearing proper protective headgear, ended up handicapped for life from a glancing blow to the head suffered whilst out skiing. Medical opinion was reported as concluding that he would certainly have died without the helmet.

This is one of those issues where worrying about what other people think is completely unimportant: cap or no cap, always wear the helmet.

vickster

Legendary Member
From hard-earned experience, always wear the helmet as well. I have been riding since the days when protective headgear was limited to something which looked like a string of sausages wrapped round the head of track cyclists only. Bareheaded, I somehow survived a head-on collision with a van whose driver lost control and veered onto the wrong side of the road. You can be in control of yourself but you cannot control the road conditions nor the behaviours of other road users.

Heads can be very delicate. A lucky club cyclist such as myself may come away from a potentially fatal accident with no apparant long-term damage (even though my riding partner on the day thought at first that I was dead). Yet a highly skilled speed demon such as Michael Schumacher, wearing proper protective headgear, ended up handicapped for life from a glancing blow to the head suffered whilst out skiing. Medical opinion was reported as concluding that he would certainly have died without the helmet.

This is one of those issues where worrying about what other people think is completely unimportant: cap or no cap, always wear the helmet.
You may want to repost here https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/helmet-discussions.174/ :smile:

Top Bottom