Is there a stigma to only wear a cap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LemonJuice

Hopefully sometime next week I’ll be finally riding a road bike.

I don’t have a helmet at the moment. But, I did buy a cycling cap from the 1990s earlier today on eBay which I intend to wear when I’m out on the bike.

Do you wear a cycling cap? If so, do you think other cyclists judge you because of it?

I recall seeing a lot of cyclists over the years only wearing cycling caps.

snorri

Legendary Member
I recall seeing a lot of cyclists over the years only wearing cycling caps.
Paging @numbnuts

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I usually wear a discreet baseball cap, not a branded, high-fronted, American style jobby, but a plain, single colour cotton one that keeps the sun off.
It gets washed frequently so looks quite ratty, faded and frayed, but that suits me just fine and matches my other tired cycling gear. The only real 'cycling' clothing I have are SPD shoes and some lycra cycling tops. Everything else is just either normal shorts or walking/running wear. I think I probably look like a bit of a tramp when cycling :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
I usually use a baseball cap in summer or woolly hat in winter. No helmet here.

I regularly see an old man (70+) pottering around town who somehow manages to wear a helmet over the top of a flat cap.

Basically just wear what you please and feel comfortable with. It's not a fashion parade.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

0003768_vintage-cycling-caps-reynolds.jpg

That cap is very similar to what I bought on eBay.

Although I'm not bothered what people think about me and when I go cycling I want to be left alone, I wasn’t sure whether or not only wearing a cap was frowned upon by other cyclists.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Any old baseball cap most of the time, currently a Farnborough Airshow 2019 from my lad, or a freebie one from a Shooting Centre off a works do. Winter is wool hat.
I have 'proper' cycling caps, but they don't suit me, mind you nor does lycra and I sill wear that:laugh:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
View attachment 522150
That cap is very similar to what I bought on eBay.

Although I'm not bothered what people think about me and when I go cycling I want to be left alone, I wasn’t sure whether or not only wearing a cap was frowned upon by other cyclists.
Others have said it already, if you can, don't worry about what others think about your attire, although that can be easier said than done. There is no stigma about caps, it's the stigma, for some, of not wearing a helmet.
I started wearing caps a few years ago, and have no intention of stopping. It's vanishingly rare for anyone to mention anything, if something is said it will generally relate to a lack of helmet, not the cap specifically. The most recent comment was someone had seen me riding and wanted to know what the special aero head gear I had was :laugh:
I've just taken delivery of 3 Walz caps (thank you @ianrauk :okay:)

Kevfm

Regular
I've only been cycling, and therefore noticing cyclists in any detail, for 3 months . I've never yet seen anybody not wearing a helmet whilst cycling on the road. Do people really do that?

Top Bottom