Is there any law about parking a lorry on a side road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Its a small residential side road...no room to throw a cat...and there is a lorry parked every night in the same place making turning almost impossible and blocking the vision of cars a dn pedestrians...there are no yellow lines etc...the thing is parked right on th eedge of the corner to another road as well...bloke wont shift it...says it' shis right...is there any law against it or is he right?

buggi

Bird Saviour
yes, i think there might be actually, because i remember one was parked down my mom's road and my dad was having a fit saying it's against the law in a residential street etc. i don't think my dad would have said it if he didn't know.

also, it depends what you mean by lorry. my dad was talking about a HGV big feck off thing with loads of wheels.

col

Legendary Member
Could be causing an obstruction,and i think its illegal to park on a junction anyway isnt it?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
We have the same problem by my moms. If it is parked in a residential street, i.e. housing area then it is illegal. If he parks it round the corner out of the Close and not in front the houses on that road, then it's legal. Cannot be within ten yards (metres?) of a junction and should leave his parking lights on, also (obviously) should be pointing in the right directin of the traffic flow.
Those where the rules c !0 years ago.

If he's not really doing any harm beyond making it slightly tricky to turn around you could always just leave him alone. It's hard enough to find anywhere to park up for the night without getting grief for leaving the thing outside (presumably) his own house. I used to often leave my artic parked up outside my flat in Wolverhampton. It really used to annoy the school run mothers in their 4X4s the next morning!:biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Rhythm Thief said:
If he's not really doing any harm beyond making it slightly tricky to turn around you could always just leave him alone. It's hard enough to find anywhere to park up for the night without getting grief for leaving the thing outside (presumably) his own house. I used to often leave my artic parked up outside my flat in Wolverhampton. It really used to annoy the school run mothers in their 4X4s the next morning!:biggrin:

That is therefore a reasonable and valid plea. Well done Rhythm !!

TimO

Guru
I think a lot of the time, local councils have byelaws that restrict this sort of thing, so it may be worth having a hunt around on their website, or talking to some one involved in parking there.

I was having a hunt around, and found this interesting comment on the Bromley council website:

The parking of a lorry or van within the curtilage of a private house for a purpose not incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling involves a material change of use and requires planning permission.

So, possibly, should the council wish to get involved, they could force him to either move the vehicle or apply for planning permission (which I suspect he would be unlikely to get).

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Why doesnt he just move the truck back? Or is there not enough room. You could always say something to him, and ask him.
If its outside his house, then i cant see the problem, or if he could move it back from the courner some more to make it easier.
I think there is a law about it, because i caravan can be parked outside of the house, on the road or pavement for a certain amount of time, before it has to be moved.
So i would have thought there would be a law about lorries parked in a residential area.

Mortiroloboy

TimO said:
I think a lot of the time, local councils have byelaws that restrict this sort of thing, so it may be worth having a hunt around on their website, or talking to some one involved in parking there.

I was having a hunt around, and found this interesting comment on the Bromley council website:

So, possibly, should the council wish to get involved, they could force him to either move the vehicle or apply for planning permission (which I suspect he would be unlikely to get).

LOL Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!! reality check, we live in a residential road close to a town centre, the LA have just introduced permit holders only parking with a full no parking restriction for anyone other than a resident.

When the line markers came around two cars were already parked in the road, the council hadn't got a plan in place to get them moved, so now we have two estate car sized gaps in the line, which are exploited on a daily basis. the restriction is also routinely ignored.:rolleyes: An email to the LA was responded to by the local Liberal dimwit councillor, who advised me that it was working in his street :rolleyes:(w@nker) and that I should call the police who would arrange for a warden to call and issue a ticket :angry:ha ha ha ha ha ! get real you to$$er, we can't even get an officer round when our cars get broken into (twice) they aren't going to send a TW around to issue a FPN.

Bottom line nowadays- we live in do wot you likey Britain, cos aint no one gonna stop ya! Fecking sad state of affairs.:biggrin::angry:

bonj2

I think this is a bit discriminatory against people who choose to have a lorry as their day to day vehicle.

Mortiroloboy

Years ago before we had a bypass, demonstrators tried to say that the traffic problems were caused by Scrummy's = school run Mummy's, funny old thing when the bypass finally went through there was a huge drop in the volume of 38 tonne artics, now who'd have thought that so many mums took their kids to school in HGV's;):biggrin::wacko:

parking your 40 tonne lorry on residential streets tends 1 to block the road (but cheap for the operator who should pay for off road parking) 2 blight the area 3, crush gas pipes when parked partially on pavement, as they do. Who pays for the crushed services, damage to the footpath, and resultant gas leaks? Not your lorry driver, I'll bet. Send them back to the depot, where they should be.

Top Bottom