is there any need for these cyclist down threads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rootes

BentMikey said:
I hate to break it to you, but most of us on here are both drivers and cyclists.

I never made out that the majority were not..

the point was people view (and therefore bias) and comments related to their current mode of transport raher than a road user in general even if in general they use both

spindrift

rootes said:
I never made out that the majority were not..

the point was people view (and therefore bias) and comments related to their current mode of transport raher than a road user in general even if in general they use both

No bias was posted, other than the fact that lorries involved in a disproportionate number of fatal RTAs lorry/cyclist, and that The City of London is the most dangerous place to cycle in England. As it's where I cycle the horrible event is pertinent.

OP
OP
R

rootes

spindrift said:
For me, I'm interested to learn of the facts in the hope that I may avoid a similar situation.

Quite.

but does anyone ever post up the full formal incident report with recs and conclusions,

seems to be very few facts presented in these cyclist down threads.... part from 'bound to be the driver at fault' comments

i also cycle london and see cyclists everyday going up the inside of 8 wheelers and buses often after the vehicle is clearly indicating a turn left... or going round a lefthand bend - whilst hgv 's have big mirrors driving one in central london really is a pain the arse to keep and eye on everything going on

yello

I can't but help do a 'compare and contrast'...

porridge said:
the accident my wife had yesterday and reading the 2 deaths reported today, it has made me examine my safety

LLB said:
We know that we partake in a pastime which has associated risks, but Morbid posting of this type of thread serves only to reinforce the notion that they are greater than they really are.

...and I'd agree with porridge (btw, I know llb was talking about motorcycling).

Personally, I think such posts serve a very real and useful purpose in reminding us all that it can happen to us. It is too easy to become complacent and whilst not overstating the risks, there are risks none-the-less.

yello

rootes said:
i also cycle london and see cyclists everyday going up the inside of 8 wheelers and buses often after the vehicle is clearly indicating a turn left... or going round a lefthand bend - whilst hgv 's have big mirrors driving one in central london really is a pain the arse to keep and eye on everything going on

Would you agree then that it serves a purpose, on a cycling forum, to post a thread saying a cyclist has been killed/injured under such circumstances?

What might strike you as an obvious, and unnecessary, risk might not be so evident to others.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
porridge said:
A...it has made me examine my safety, I cycle along a very busy and fast stretch of the A41, there is actually a poorly maintained cycle route that i've avaoided, but im now thinking I should take the safer option.
The bus driver who hit me in August was of the opinion that I should have been on the cycle path - he wasn't a nasty bloke, but he thought if you chose to be on the road with the "real" traffic, you took your chances.

I've used that particular cyclepath since - I hate myself for it, but being hit by a bus shook my confidence some. Manchester City Council don't help, as the on road facilities (ASLs etc) disappear once the path starts, reinforcing the (incorrect) impression drivers have that the road is theirs.

Weigh it up, make your choice.

LLB

rootes said:
but does anyone ever post up the full formal incident report with recs and conclusions,

seems to be very few facts presented in these cyclist down threads.... part from 'bound to be the driver at fault' comments

I did a while ago when a local cyclist got run over by a bus. I was shouted down by someone here when I suggested that the cyclist may have been partially responsible for his own demise.

As it happens, I also published the inquest report, in which it stated that the cyclist was a heroin addict, and was off his head when he cut across in front of the bus onto the pavement, and was totally oblivious to its presence when the accident happened.

The simple rule where lorries are concerned, don't get along side them at junctions under any circumstance.

OP
OP
R

rootes

LLB said:
I did a while ago when a local cyclist got run over by a bus. I was shouted down by someone here when I suggested that the cyclist may have been partially responsible for his own demise.

As it happens, I also published the inquest report, in which it stated that the cyclist was a heroin addict, and was off his head when he cut across in front of the bus onto the pavement, and was totally oblivious to its presence when the accident happened.

The simple rule where lorries are concerned, don't get along side them at junctions under any circumstance.

Cool now that is more like it - proper facts!

S

sternwood

Unsunstantaited claims with no evidence, citing an incident that never happened you mean?

yello

zimzum42 said:
There is a danger that it could reinforce the idea that cycling is a dangerous activity - it's not

I recall having a discussion with bentmicky (I think) some months back. It boiled down to a difference in a personal definition of 'dangerous'. But whether cycling is or isn't a dangerous activity is perhaps a moot point given that cyclists are killed and injured on the road.

Personally, I think it useful to be reminded of that fact and to know, in as much as is possible, the circumstances so that we might learn something from it.

If this were a chrysanthemum forum, I'd say 'cyclist down' threads are of little purpose!

OP
OP
R

rootes

sternwood said:

Unsunstantaited claims with no evidence, citing an incident that never happened you mean?

no the cool was related to the fact that some said that they had posted up a formal incident report - what would be really cool if somone could highlight the thread where this actually took place.....

S

sternwood

Rootes, only one person said he thought the driver must be at fault, based on previous incidents it's a reasonable guess. If you use the Search feature on "Inquest" you can find plenty to justify this presumption.

We don't know the facts yet, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to comment and mourn a life lost in circumstances that were almost certainly avoidable.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm in favour of them and usually read them. It is partly sympathy, a sense of it could happen to me, can I learn anything from it. It also may make you think about whether that area is an accident black spot - and hopefully the councils are also looking at that. Sometimes when I'm cycling and have a close shave ... it makes you re-evaluate how you are cycling and concentrate a little more.

And the ones involving lorries and railings are worth repeating as many times as possible until nobody thinks to go up the inside of a large vehicle on a corner.

Top Bottom