is there any need for these cyclist down threads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rootes

i think it goes without saying that everyone on here would wish anyone injuried a speedy recovery and hope that they themsleves are never involved

but is there really any merit in starting threads about each incident?

Willow

Probably not except to remind us all that accidents happen and we are all vunerable whether drivers, passengers, pedestrians or cyclists and there is usually one obvious victim and many less obvious for whom such accidents are just as tragic - always make your peace before you leave home whatever the reason for your grumps and however you travel.

domtyler

Über Member
In the past I have known the injured cyclist or even the relatives of those who have been killed, I particularly remember the daughter of a cyclist who was killed in Greenwich park, have found this site and the threads about them or their relatives and have thanked the people who have given their sympathies and condolences or support and said that they have found some comfort from them and from the cycling community.

For me, this is reason enough to allow them to continue.

spindrift

I'd say yes.

1/

cyclists deaths are under-reported. Look at the attention stabbing deaths get whilst fatal RTAs don't merit a mention.

2/

The lessons learned from each incident can be very worthwhile for cyclists and drivers alike

3/

Pressure can be brough to bear on authorities to improve road layouts and improve safety

dondare

Über Member
Two points:- Occasionally the injured/dead cyclist is a forum member.

Cyclists make up less than 5% of road accident fatalities, the roads should (and could) be made a lot safer for everyone.

OP
OP
R

rootes

my initial post wasn't either in favour or not of these threads - just interested in the merits as s rel new member of this forum

would have to say that contact relatives to say thanks for support would be useful - but it seems that no lessons can be learnt as no formal incident report is ever published to learn from and seemily post on here are a little biased againts drivers etc

the presure to improve i doubt would come from these threads.. as there are formal process to undertake such works - though seem to require and incident (no such thing as accidents) to get any changes

Regards
Si

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Any bias against drivers would be fairly obvious given that this is a cycling forum. You do know that only around 17% of cyclist/motor vehicle collisions are the fault of the cyclist according to one study, right? The vast majority of the time it *is* the driver who is to blame.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Any bias against drivers would be fairly obvious given that this is a cycling forum. You do know that only around 17% of cyclist/motor vehicle collisions are the fault of the cyclist according to one study, right? The vast majority of the time it *is* the driver who is to blame.

Which study?

OP
OP
R

rootes

BentMikey said:

well i'm a driver and a cyclist... which I suppose in general terms makes me a road user.. i suppose we are all road users it is just the mode of road use and thus the bias that changes depending on that mode at the time

Blackandblue

I'd say it is worthwhile to have these threads.

It raises awareness. If only amongst fellow cyclists.

Messages of condolence are another good reason.

I'd hope it's not purely morbid curiosity. For me, I'm interested to learn of the facts in the hope that I may avoid a similar situation. Or pass on advice to fellow cyclists (or indeed road users) to try and make the roads a safer place.

I also like to hear that the cyclist is making a good recovery. Sadly that is not always the case.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
rootes said:
well i'm a driver and a cyclist... which I suppose in general terms makes me a road user..

I hate to break it to you, but most of us on here are both drivers and cyclists.

Doesn't change the fact that such collisions are nearly always the driver's fault. As for any bias, I don't think it's that bad. Look at the castigation Handsome Joe rightly got for hitting a car mirror on the other topic.

porridge

Actually I don't know want to say whether they're good or bad, but with the accident my wife had yesterday and reading the 2 deaths reported today, it has made me examine my safety, I cycle along a very busy and fast stretch of the A41, there is actually a poorly maintained cycle route that i've avaoided, but im now thinking I should take the safer option.

Dom's explanation is good enough for me.

Personally it's a lot of sympathy and sadness along with some morbid curiousity.

Also I want to know what happened to re-assure myself that that wouldn't happen to me because I ride differently or to think 'shoot' that could've happened to me I must watch for that in future.

LLB

We discourage this type of thread on the m/cycle forum I mod on unless they are members of the site or public figures where there is general public interest.

This guy was a member there and was killed last saturday on his return from a french trip. He did get a RIP thread, but we would have removed it if it hadn't been posted by his best mate.

We know that we partake in a pastime which has associated risks, but Morbid posting of this type of thread serves only to reinforce the notion that they are greater than they really are.

Why post about someone who you don't know, have never met, has no public presence (apart from the accident being reported), and has no association with the forum.

Makes the poster seem very insincere about anything they post about when they do it all the time.....

Reports on the outcome of an inquest is relevant, but not the incident itself as little evidence is forthcoming from any initial newspaper report.

Top Bottom