Is there any way to change the narrative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
This manager said a lot of stuff without actually saying anything!
He clearly does not want to get involved, but to leave the episode unchallenged could lead to a dangerous previous imo.
If the bowlers have convinced themselves that cycling is not allowed in the park, then maybe they are saying it to other cyclists too, that could believe this, avoiding the park as a route.
Maybe, Sara, you could lobby for a few signs that clearly state cycling is allowed, get the local councilor involved, or local cycling activist groups.
Her local MP's don't want to know about cyclist. Not for another few months yet anyway!

Presumably then the cars without blue badges are breaking the rules? I'd leave it with a veiled threat that any more anti cyclist nonsense will result in exposing the rule breaking from all the cars that shouldn't be there.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Well, you could/should probably let it go...However, you could keep an eye on whether a) the bowls club drivers stick to the 5mph speed restriction (which is a fast walking pace), b) are bona fide disabled drivers, and c) if they always use their hazard warning lights as prescribed. If they are taking the piss, write to the park ranger again with a list of these petty infractions...

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Well, you could/should probably let it go...However, you could keep an eye on whether a) the bowls club drivers stick to the 5mph speed restriction (which is a fast walking pace), b) are bona fide disabled drivers, and c) if they always use their hazard warning lights as prescribed. If they are taking the piss, write to the park ranger again with a list of these petty infractions...
Hmmmm not sure it should be down to individual park users to police the other park users. And I'm not hearing any reassurance in the email I received that they even acknowledge a problem, much less plan to address or monitor the situation.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Hmmmm not sure it should be down to individual park users to police the other park users. And I'm not hearing any reassurance in the email I received that they even acknowledge a problem, much less plan to address or monitor the situation.

I agree, but if you are not pro-active and don't do anything, the apathetic park ranger will be able to cite very few complaints/issues with the current arrangement. As it stands, the ranger appears to view what happened as a "one off", unfortunate incident. By all means ask him to risk-assess the current arrangements as you believe there is a conflict point, but I'd not expect too much, sadly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
@Sara_H was the car in question displaying a blue badge?
I don't know, I didn't check. The driver was certainly very sprightly, though I do appreciate that some blue badge holders may have disabilities that don't appear immediately obvious.

Ganymede

Veteran
I don't know, I didn't check. The driver was certainly very sprightly, though I do appreciate that some blue badge holders may have disabilities that don't appear immediately obvious.
She may have had a disabled passenger. Still should be displaying their blue badge.

I have to say, there are things that you can't get a blue badge for which are very frustrating. My Dad had dementia but could walk (although with difficulty, not enough for a badge). However, I couldn't just drop him and go and park, because I couldn't leave him on his own. I had to park as close as I could without being a daffodil, walk him to the destination, then go back and re-park. The blue badge form is all about physical disability, so I couldn't get one for him (though I believe there are provisions in Wales to get one for mental disability).

Anyway, off-topic, sorry - I agree Sara that you should pursue this to make sure it's not just you being "educated" by this manager bloke.

Top Bottom