Is there such a beast as a folding Road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Moultons don't fold, though many (including that one) separate. Not to everyone's taste as wheres_my_beard has demonstrated, but I'd love one...

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I am impressed with the concept of the Dahon Tournado . Anyone know if they are still available and the price?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Followed the link now I am on a computer instead of the phone. The Tournado looks good but pricey at £1900 .I cant buy another bike right now, just thinking ahead to when my roadbike needs replacing.Something like the Tournado or a proper folder like Bike Friday pocket rocket is the way I am thinking at the moment.

I have taken my cheap singlespeed steel folder on trains buses boats and in the car boot.Its great for up to about 20 miles.Having a really good road bike that was equally as versatile would be great.
016-1.jpg

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I know it doesn't have 700c wheels, but I really like the look of the Dahon Vector X27h

It would be uber cool to have one of these in the boot of the car 'just in case.' But I don't know if I could justify the cost for a 'just in case...'

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I know it doesn't have 700c wheels, but I really like the look of the Dahon Vector X27h

It would be uber cool to have one of these in the boot of the car 'just in case.' But I don't know if I could justify the cost for a 'just in case...'

My Speed Pro TT (the predecessor model) is excellent, barely slower over distance than the roadies and pretty comfortable too. The Vector frame is stiffer so should be even better. 2012 Vector X27h is £1300 at Fudges, though unfortunately blighted by an awful colour scheme. If I was in the market for a replacement I'd be tempted to spend another £300 and get the Tern Verge X30h. Tern's the new bike brand put together by Josh Hon- son of Dahon's founder- who took most of the design team with him- and they're aiming to sort out many of the design and distribution issues that can make Dahon ownership interesting (parts not available or changing every model year, for one thing!). The handlepost design- a weak point on many Dahon frames- looks much better. Early reports say that it barely flexes at all even standing on the pedals.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
My Speed Pro TT (the predecessor model) is excellent, barely slower over distance than the roadies and pretty comfortable too. The Vector frame is stiffer so should be even better. 2012 Vector X27h is £1300 at Fudges, though unfortunately blighted by an awful colour scheme. If I was in the market for a replacement I'd be tempted to spend another £300 and get the Tern Verge X30h. Tern's the new bike brand put together by Josh Hon- son of Dahon's founder- who took most of the design team with him- and they're aiming to sort out many of the design and distribution issues that can make Dahon ownership interesting (parts not available or changing every model year, for one thing!). The handlepost design- a weak point on many Dahon frames- looks much better. Early reports say that it barely flexes at all even standing on the pedals.

I have heard about Tern, but not seen one in the flesh... Do you have a decent link to info on the X30h? Also, are they available in the UK?

Out of interest StuAff, what do you consider the weaknesses of the Dahon handlepost to be? Can I ask which one is on your bike? I think mine on the Speed Pro 2005 is the Radius. Yours the Radius V? Had any headset problems?

MattE

Regular
Hi Guys, I commute on a Dahon jack, 26" wheels and folds in half so makes it train legal ^_^ running as 8 speed with Conti GatorSkins and narrow flat bars with ends. It stiff and rolls pretty fast so can keep up with the roadies and traffic on the blast along euston road. I do 100 mile a week for the commute so wated a proper size bike to soak up the miles..

Burghley

Über Member
Hi
A belated entry to this topic.
I have two bikes which can be packed into a Dahon bike case:
1. Dahon Speed Pro in lovely mango colour. One of the last of the cromo frames. Originally came with the Sram 3 speed rear hub giving 27 gears, but now changed to a standard Hope hub, 9 speed and half a ton lighter (also a doddle to replace an inner tube). Folds and unfolds in less than a minute as you would expect
2. A titanium frame made by Xi'an in China (xacd.com.cn) with S&S couplings. This is a full road bike with 59cm seat tube and 700c wheels. The cost of the frame was $899 delivered to the UK for a custom size, all the braze ons I wanted, and brushed finish. This rides exactly like the identical frame without couplings. It takes about fifteen/twenty minutes to completely disassemble and pack and about twenty five minutes to get it ready for riding again. The 700c wheels fit in the Dahon case after deflating the tyres.
Please get in touch if you want further details, CAD drawing, photos etc.

Pete

Top Bottom