Is this a good mix???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was on the hunt for a tyre that's suitable for on the road (not a speed freak, so doesn't have to be mega thin or completely smooth), but that can also handle a few rough tow paths, cope with a bit of mud and handle broken glass and general cr@p on potholey lanes. Oh, and preferably it should not be smaller than 26x1.75... I know there is no single tyre that will do everything, and there is always a compromise between speed, grip, puncture resistance etc, but I came across this, which seems to fit the bill pretty well:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=24550

£17.99 from CRC, what do you think???? And how much can a standard marathon tyre handle in comparison?

Tynan

Veteran
not a tyre buff but that looks good other than the compromise for the road part

ChrisKH

Guru
Agree with Tynan. I thought the same when I was re-tyring a hybrid and got 26 x 1.5 and now wish I had got slightly thinner tyres. It doesn't have to be only road worthy if it's thin you can get multi-modal (like 20"'s mate) thin tyres that will be much faster on roads whilst still giving good grip and can be used off-road. You have to consider what the rims can take as well.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Unless you're planning on riding through slippery mud often and over a distance, I would think a standard Marathon (I just checked, they do come in 1.75") would be fine, and maybe a bit faster and quieter on the road.

I use (narrower) Marathons) for all sorts of riding, on and off road. The only time knobbles are useful (I have knobbly tyres on my mountain bike) is on sloppy mud or soft sand.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Argh...I'm so stuck between standard marathon and marathon cross...There is a couple of sandy/rocky/grassy off road sections on the road to Amsterdam, not too fussed if it's dry, just wondering if I would be better off with the Cross if it's wet. The tread on both seems to be of similar depth looking at the pictures, but the gaps are smaller on the normal marathons...how much difference will it make for rolling resistance?

Also, do I go for 1.75 or 2.00? What difference will it make exactly?

domtyler

Über Member
If you are not worried about your speed then the fatter the better as they will be more comfortable. If you are going to be going through mud and sand then you will definitely need a chunky tread pattern too so the ones you originally highlighted look good to me.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Good choice to go for standard Marathons. As Dom says, if speed isn't your main aim (and you say it isnt), perhaps you should go for the 2.00" tyres (if your frame has the clearance for them. If your present tyres are 2.00, well of course, it has).

The wider tyres will help you not to get bogged down in soft sand or squishy mud, while the smoother tread will be nicer-rolling on tarmac.

Whatever you choose, let us know what you think.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Uncle Phil said:
Good choice to go for standard Marathons. As Dom says, if speed isn't your main aim (and you say it isnt), perhaps you should go for the 2.00" tyres (if your frame has the clearance for them. If your present tyres are 2.00, well of course, it has).

The wider tyres will help you not to get bogged down in soft sand or squishy mud, while the smoother tread will be nicer-rolling on tarmac.

Whatever you choose, let us know what you think.

How much difference in speed does the width actually make? I'm not too fussed about speed like I said, but if I start doing TdF times by using thinner tyres, I would consider it! If the difference is minimal, then I might as well go for comfort....just want to make my life as easy as possible...

Top Bottom