Is this a good upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycleshoe

Hi guys,

new to raod biking here and ive just bought this bike (https://vitusbikes.com/collections/razor/products/vitus-razor-vr-disc-road-bike-sora) Ive been told these stock wheels are very bog standard as they use their own house wheels to meet the price range. Im rather keen on upgrading these wheelset and ive found a pair of Mavic Aksium wheels on ebay for 150 in good condition. Would it be worth the upgrade?

these are the same wheels.
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/mavic_...NEoN5RfWihCUGYoJgi0Qw6DVyMGYBfncaAnxVEALw_wcB

Or if anyone has some more recommendation on some nice entry wheelsets to upgrade to. Im looking to spend up to 200.

let me know what you guys think.

thanks for reading.

vickster

Legendary Member
How much do you weigh? It might be a consideration when selecting wheels

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Personally, I'd keep those ones in situ for the next few months of grotty weather and slower riding, then get something nice for the summer.

I would also try to find something in the sale, no one pays full price for wheels do they?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Service the existing wheels' hubs - they're often badly adjusted/inadequately lubed as delivered. Have a go at tensioning the spokes, too (or get a 'shop to do that) Ride the existing wheels, see how you go for a while.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My LBS won't service or repair Mavic Aksium's - they find them too much of a problem. Also, at that price they're not much of an upgrade.

It's probably better getting some decent tyres; GP5000 or similar, then saving up for a decent pair of wheels. I'd recommend Superstar Components for the low budget you've got - check their Facebook page / sign up for offers - and they're often at your budget.

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
We also have a member who's a wheel builder, might be able to supply with a pair of custom build to suit your wallet & your bike... ;)
Drop him a message.. @Beespoke
🙏🙏🙏 Thanks Graham for the shout out.

£200 is a very tight budget with the view to upgrading what you already have, the upgrade even with a pair of branded wheels like Mavic, will be minimal at that price point.

Tyres, saddle, a proper bike fit... would be my recommendation for your money being better spent.

However if your adamant on wheels, and who am I to argue because everyone loves shiny new wheels, I'd be more than happy to help, but be prepared to dig a little deeper than £200

CXRAndy

Guru
Ride the bike at bit more. Swapping wheels for similar type, material wont be of too much benefit.

For the future consider wider internal rim wheels or carbon aero wheels.

Rim widths are increasing allowing bigger tyres to be run on road bikes and adventure bikes.

Ive got a set of rims coming with 25mm internal width. These are deep aero rims and will allow 30-32mm tyres to fit well onto the rim. I can then run much lower tubeless pressure whilst having excellent aero performance

OP
OP
Bicycleshoe

Bicycleshoe

thanks for the feedback guys. Ill take your advise and keep the stock wheels for now and see how it goes. Ive recently replaced the tryes to a better pair. @Beespoke thanks for your input, what would be a price range to have an upgrade that will be a considerable upgrade for the future.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Tyres are always the cheapest and simplest way to "upgrade" (presumably meaning "going faster for same effort")

The tyres you have aren't tested on the guru website

Road Bike Tires Test Results | Bicycle Rolling Resistance

However, they seem to be reasonable. I would run those tyres (and wheels and everything else) for now. When the tyres need replacing refer to this website and choose a set of tyres that suit your requirements. It's often easy to get a "free" 10W by choosing better tyres. More effective than new wheels and much cheaper

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
thanks for the feedback guys. Ill take your advise and keep the stock wheels for now and see how it goes. Ive recently replaced the tryes to a better pair. @Beespoke thanks for your input, what would be a price range to have an upgrade that will be a considerable upgrade for the future.
DM'd you 👍

🐝

Top Bottom