Is this bike good/how much is it worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sally D

I just found this bike online. I would be using it for general use (nothing pro/specific) just from getting from here to there.
1bb51185d1fac366b577a8760d592a6c.png

The description with the bike is:
Brand: Pioneer
Brake Type: Powerful Alloy V - Brakes Type: Mountain Bike
Wheel Size: Aluminium 26 Inches Heat-treated Wheels
Frame Size: 20 inch Alloy Frame Frame Colour: Red
This is a really nice bike. It was bought brand new in 2010 and did not see excessive use or neglect as still got original tyres. The bike just have had a full checke-up/service at local HALFORDS.
It got a proper Gel saddle and a lot of high specs such as heated alloy rims and UNITEK fork tubes. To summarise, the bike's really light (as it weighs only 15 Kilos) and fast to ride.

How much do you think it's worth? and is it a good bike? I know nothing, aha

Scruffmonster

Über Member
£20-50 depending on how deep your pockets are....

To put it another way, you can get a helluva lot of bike for £100 second hand. Bikes that drop below that threshold are generally clunkers. I have 5 bikes. One of them looks a lot worse than that and I still use it on occassion.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Is it a good bike? No.
Will it get you from A to B? Perhaps :smile:

I would certainly be after change from 30 quid, for something like that. Not to say that it may not serve a purpose but it probably won't be a very enjoyable one. It's heavy and I reckon it's way older than 2 years. Beware...

p.s. They shoulda' stuck to making stereos :rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

Sally D

£20-50 depending on how deep your pockets are....

To put it another way, you can get a helluva lot of bike for £100 second hand. Bikes that drop below that threshold are generally clunkers. I have 5 bikes. One of them looks a lot worse than that and I still use it on occassion.

hmmm... is it not very good then?

Scruffmonster

Über Member
hmmm... is it not very good then?

No. But nor was my first car and it's still my favourite that I've owned.

My point was, if you're spending £50, you may as well spend £100 as a £100 bike will me MORE than twice as good if you choose wisely.

Yet if you can pick this up for £20-30 and you just want to pop round to friends, the shops, a train station, you'll not regret spending the money and you certainly wont get better, for less.

People are way too prissy regarding 'Bike Shaped Objects - BSO's'. If they're cheap, and you understand their limitations, they'll be fine.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
sub £20. For a start those look suspiciously like canti brakes to me, not v brakes. That with the quill stem, and the seat post looks like it's been attached to the saddle back to front, points me towards it being a Tesco or Argos special if it was bought new in 2010 (which I doubt). If it could talk, it would go "woof". It's a dog.:stop:

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I'd say the Giant. Purely based on the standard of the bikes that they make. It'll be a good frame.

Though others would probably know more than me as I know nothing about these actual bikes. I just picked the best pair from your local area. I don't know a great deal about hybrids/mountain bikes in terms of equipment.

OP
OP
S

Sally D

Can someone who knows more than me tell me how much this is worth and if it is a good bike?
a2e0cfb934f747d6b44b3873639dbe21.png

Description:
for sale giant gsr 400 mountain bike has 26" wheels,13.5" frame, 21 gears, official giant bell and stand, bike has been stood for a while so will probably be in need of servicing and definitely needs a good clean but is perfectly ridable.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Brand: Pioneer
Brake Type: Powerful Alloy V - Brakes Type: Mountain Bike
Wheel Size: Aluminium 26 Inches Heat-treated Wheels
Frame Size: 20 inch Alloy Frame Frame Colour: Red
This is a really nice bike. It was bought brand new in 2010 and did not see excessive use or neglect as still got original tyres. The bike just have had a full checke-up/service at local HALFORDS.
It got a proper Gel saddle and a lot of high specs such as heated alloy rims and UNITEK fork tubes. To summarise, the bike's really light (as it weighs only 15 Kilos) and fast to ride.

OK - 15 kilo's isn't light. It's a tank.

It's a Tesco special methinks. It could be a Raleigh Pioneer but doesn't look right.

Otherwise there's nothing outstanding on it. Heavy steel frame, basic saddle, basic gears.

If you're just wanting something cheap (sub £30) then fine. Otherwise I'd keep looking - try the For Sale section on here.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Hahahahaha. You'll get more answers, but if you can get it for £50 (down from £65) and get a local mechanic to give it the once over for £20 or less you'd have a bargain.

OP
OP
S

Sally D

Hahahahaha. You'll get more answers, but if you can get it for £50 (down from £65) and get a local mechanic to give it the once over for £20 or less you'd have a bargain.

I'd prefer one where I can just buy it and ride it.
In the description it says it's been stood and in need of a service which probably means its rusty and not good cond

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I'd prefer one where I can just buy it and ride it.
In the description it says it's been stood and in need of a service which probably means its rusty and not good cond

Then buy it and ride it.

If you buy any bike you should give it the once over. Check all nuts, bolts, cables, grease some parts, lube others. You can do it yourself for an hour or two and £5 but you sound inexperienced so a quick bike shop MOT would be a start.

Pay you money, take your choice. Rather than start with 'How much is x worth', start thinking 'I have £x to spend' then look at that price, offerring that same money for more expensive bikes if you see any.

Good luck.

Top Bottom