Is this bike too big for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madoser

D6EA9BC4-36F5-4B08-8A38-F271D198D5D8.jpeg
9BCD3759-3562-46CF-9B7A-27C577727832.jpeg
I’m 5’5 with a 28-30” inseam and the bike is a Raleigh Tourist 2018 in small size 52 700c tires. The top bar is all up in my crotch. The bike is nice but maybe too big? I’m used to BMX. It rides nice enough but getting in it is awkward. I can tip toe from the seat with the post all the way down.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Looks OK to me - I presume the saddle is at the lowest? The second photo shows your leg extension and that looks fine.

At 5' 5" you're either on a Small or an XS size. Alternatively a ladies bike might fit better?

I am 5 ft 5 and all my bikes are either 52 or 50cm top tube with drop bars, my Mtb with straight bars has a 55cm top tube. Measuring the right size of bike by seeing if your feet touch the floor is a very old way of measuring whether the bike fits. Its virtual horizontal top tube length that counts, with bars like that you should be able to get away with a 55cm length no problem. Normally if you stop on a bike the bike will be lent over anyway with only one foot on the deck the other on the pedal. I am used to a more arse up, head down position, so to me that bike looks too small for you, but that bike is not meant to be ridden in a aero tuck so is fine.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I can tip toe from the seat with the post all the way down.

Normally, people come off the saddle to put a foot down. Being able to tiptoe suggests you are probably in just about the right place, for me I can only tiptoe if the bike is leaning to one side. I think it is just a case of getting used to it, after all you just came from a kids bike :whistle:

Welcome to the forum by the way!

KneesUp

Guru
It's about comfort - if it feels ok to you, it's probably ok.

I swapped over to a slightly smaller frame on my bike because the 'lads' nestled on the crossbar of the larger one, which was fine, but I got to thinking that if I had to stop suddenly there was a chance they'd do more than nestle, and because I sometimes ride on rough-ish bridleways so I wanted a bit more of a margin for error. To be honest though I probably wouldn't have bothered has I not already got basically the same frame but in a smaller size and made with better tubing due to some exuberant ebay bidding - the larger one was fine for the year or so I rode it, and still would be.

looks ok to me , just lean to one side slightly when you come to put a foot down , unless you don't feel comfortable on it , if that's the case then yes its too big , you need to feel comfortable. I guess ive been no help at all really :wacko:

OP
OP
M

Madoser

I am 5 ft 5 and all my bikes are either 52 or 50cm top tube with drop bars, my Mtb with straight bars has a 55cm top tube. Measuring the right size of bike by seeing if your feet touch the floor is a very old way of measuring whether the bike fits. Its virtual horizontal top tube length that counts, with bars like that you should be able to get away with a 55cm length no problem. Normally if you stop on a bike the bike will be lent over anyway with only one foot on the deck the other on the pedal. I am used to a more arse up, head down position, so to me that bike looks too small for you, but that bike is not meant to be ridden in a aero tuck so is fine.

I am having difficulty putting in foot in the pedal and the ground from the saddle. Getting off and on is awkward too. It’s really up in my business. It is a small size.

OP
OP
M

Madoser

looks ok to me , just lean to one side slightly when you come to put a foot down , unless you don't feel comfortable on it , if that's the case then yes its too big , you need to feel comfortable. I guess ive been no help at all really :wacko:

Thank you!

OP
OP
M

Madoser

It's about comfort - if it feels ok to you, it's probably ok.

I swapped over to a slightly smaller frame on my bike because the 'lads' nestled on the crossbar of the larger one, which was fine, but I got to thinking that if I had to stop suddenly there was a chance they'd do more than nestle, and because I sometimes ride on rough-ish bridleways so I wanted a bit more of a margin for error. To be honest though I probably wouldn't have bothered has I not already got basically the same frame but in a smaller size and made with better tubing due to some exuberant ebay bidding - the larger one was fine for the year or so I rode it, and still would be.

Thank you for your advice. It does feel a little on the boarder. Once riding I am fine but getting off and on is sort of awkward.

Top Bottom