Is this cassette knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
This is off my Dahon Vybe C7A folder. The chain was at the 1/16 wear limit so I changed it. I did notice the old chain skipped a bit in top gear under heavy power. However the new chain does it a lot more. So I took a closer look at the cassette (actually a free wheel) and top gear looks to be a bit worn.

DahonCassette.jpg

If it is knackered, I will be using the opportunity to raise the gearing a touch as I top out too easy in top gear. The standard gearing is 7 speed 14-16-18-20-22-24-28. I have found an 11-28 7 speed (see link).
Will this fit and work OK?

https://foldingbike.biz/Sunrace-Cassette-7-Speed-11-30-Teeth

Scratch that, I have just realised that that is a cassette not a freewheel. Damn.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Your photo is of a Shimano pattern screw-on freewheel, not a cassette.
Generally, freewheels start at 14T (vs cassettes at 11 or 12T), so there's no real scope for raising the top gear.

It's difficult to tell by looking how knackered a freewheel or cassette is. Rohloff did sell a checking tool at one stage, but I've never heard anything very good about it.

That leaves you with checking wear by sprinting or hill climbing, and seeing if a new chain skips.
Given similar use, small sprockets wear quicker than large ones with more teeth to spread thye wear over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
@Globalti - Sorry about the picture quality, it was taken with a potato.
@Everyone Else - After some more advice from work colleagues who cycle, the decision is that it is broken in a sexual way (i.e. f**ked).
So I have purchased a 13-28 version of this:-
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels/1325-sunrace-7-speed-freewheel/

This will give me a modest gearing increase, without getting too small on the rear gears, as the samller they are the less teeth they have and the more likely they will wear quicker. I am not sure that the original was the greatest of quality if I am honest. I have heard some good things about Sunrace, so I am hopeful.

I was looking for one of those... Instead I changed back wheel bought 10 sp XT cassette new rear mech and shifter. Cost me a bleeding fortune.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was looking for one of those... Instead I changed back wheel bought 10 sp XT cassette new rear mech and shifter. Cost me a bleeding fortune.
Ah but think about those extra gears and the quality of the upgrade. Its only people like us who can get excited about such things :smile:.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Well I have it fitted and it is working well. No skipping or slipping in top. There is a useful increase in gearing in top, which I feel will make the bike a lot more usable. Chain a freewheel together cost me £27 in total (including delivery). So quite pleased to have it fixed to a better standard than original for not a lot of money.

Top Bottom