Is this cheating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I don't know if I still have the KOM, but a few years ago, someone created a segment that is highly unlikely to be ridden, thus claiming a KOM for himself. I took the KOM off him (without even knowing) and got a grudging 'Well done' comment. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'd even stopped to answer the call of nature in a field whilst beating his time :laugh:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
...do fellow CCers think this is a shameful way of bagging achievements?
No. Congratulations on your KOM; it's yours, all yours :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't do Strava but I have a local hill that I challenge myself on (LINK). There is normally a cross/headwind on it and I know that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever achieve my 20 minute target on one of those days. Tailwinds are rare on that climb, but they do happen from time to time; I decided that I will not take advantage of them to go for a fast time. There is a very good wind indicator up there in the form of a reservoir at the summit, and I have decided that any tailwind strong enough to whip up the surface of the water will disqualify a personal record attempt.

But that's just me ... I want to see if I can get me and the bike up there in 20 minutes, not if some gale can! :whistle:

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
I don't do Strava but I have a local hill that I challenge myself on (LINK). There is normally a cross/headwind on it and I know that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever achieve my 20 minute target on one of those days. Tailwinds are rare on that climb, but they do happen from time to time; I decided that I will not take advantage of them to go for a fast time. There is a very good wind indicator up there in the form of a reservoir at the summit, and I have decided that any tailwind strong enough to whip up the surface of the water will disqualify a personal record attempt.

But that's just me ... I want to see if I can get me and the bike up there in 20 minutes, not if some gale can! :whistle:

Very admirable. I'm more of a traditional type of cyclist.....no trick is too dirty or low for me!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very admirable. I'm more of a traditional type of cyclist.....no trick is too dirty or low for me!
Oh, I do look at the wind direction before going up there. I often do the loop in the opposite direction so I get a tailwind towards the summit but if I am trying to break the 20 minute barrier, I want it to represent my fitness not how strong the wind was.

The first half of the climb is more sheltered so the wind speed and direction doesn't become fully obvious until I reach the open moorland.

Ian193

Über Member
I got a KOM on my commute home from work last week 1 second faster than my previous time the segment is 6.3 miles long would have been faster but a bus reversed out of a depot as I was approaching so I had to stop

Most of the fast segment times on Strava are set from within a race peleton, or by riders out on group rides.

A solo KOM, regardless of weather conditions should be commended.

:notworthy:

Graham

Remember the multiple rants about speeding cyclists following a claim in the London Taxi Driver's rag... cyclist swell in excess of the speed limits!

Lots of people took great delight informing the author of the original article that if you looked at the place, times and dates, then the figures were recorded at the "Prudential" race when it was a closed circuit and the "offenders" were all racing (legitimately) at the time

Remember the multiple rants about speeding cyclists following a claim in the London Taxi Driver's rag... cyclist swell in excess of the speed limits!

Lots of people took great delight informing the author of the original article that if you looked at the place, times and dates, then the figures were recorded at the "Prudential" race when it was a closed circuit and the "offenders" were all racing (legitimately) at the time

Most of the KOMs around my area are set during the annual Tour of Cambridgeshire, which is also a closed road race.

Unfortunately, the race route mirrors my commute home for most of the first 10 miles, so it's often the case where I think I've really nailed a segment at 23-24mph average, only to find I'm placed in the 1000s on Strava.

Good job it doesn't really matter.

:smile:

Graham

Top Bottom