is this cruel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Convinced my brother to join me and a mate on a 57 mile bike ride today.

he's only done an 8 mile commute to work before :biggrin:

i was feeling it, so he must have been! LOL

Bless him, he did really well and only dropped off the back during the last 15 miles. i think at that point he was clearly considering phoning someone for a lift LOL

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It is cruel.

I did something similar to a colleague and he was visibly wilting at 50 miles. I had to stuff him with carbs to do the final five miles.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I took my mate out on a ride once when I had been doing a lot of riding and I was pretty fit; we set off from my house, got onto the first long straight, and so off I went, talking to him over my shoulder. Eventually I noticed that he wasn't replying. So I glanced over my shoulder and didn't spot him. So I slowed down and took a proper look over my shoulder and still didn't spot him. So I stopped, turned round and he wasn't there! Just then, I noticed a very very small dot in the distance, slowing getting bigger ...

... When the dot had turned into him on his bike, standing beside me, the conversation went something like,

"*gasp* Do you ... *gasp* *gasp* ... how fast do you ... *gasp* *burble* *gasp* ... do you normally ride that fast?"

"Umm ... yes!"

"*gasp* ... all the way round? ... *gasp*"

"Yes".

"*gasp* ... I promise you I'll be sick after five miles! ... *cough*"

"No worries, we'll take it slow!"

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
He'll feel that in the morning
whistling.gif

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I love the look on fellow work mates faces when I tell them about the distances I cover on rides nowadays,50 + milers are the norm now and if it has a nasty hill or two then bring it on ! We forget how must have thought it was impossible to ride such distances with only pedal power.

When I started back in the saddle after many years turning a steering wheel, I was cajoled into a 32 mile ride to raise some funds. I had a cheap MTB and practiced for a few weeks prior, went into LBS asked for some advice as I was "going for a long ride!" They laughed, said it was only 30 miles, just try some padded shorts if your not used to it!. They were right, that ride is now a normal ride for me, still wears me out though. My mate did it with no practice and it nearly killed him, he was in pain for a week.

asterix

Comrade Member
Years ago a friend came to visit us in NE Essex from Surrey. We were quite surprised when he arrived by bike. He was in the paras, though. In those days my rides were 25-30 miles and he inspired me to up that a bit!

fimm

Veteran
Was burbling on to my mother about the weekend's Sportive. "How far was it?" asked Mum. "87 miles," said I. "WHAT!!!!!"

I laughed, lots.
:rofl:

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
while we were on the ride, he texted one of his mates and she said "O I didn't realise you were doing that, what charity are you doing it for?" LOL. His 8 mile commute will seem easy now at least.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
ha ha, just texted him to see how he was and asked if he wanted to come to stratford. i bet you can guess his answer.

"Today?????"

lol his bum is in bits

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
My Bubbas have gone out for the day with their dad, so thought i'd take the oppertunity to go out for a 'little' solo ride.
The TeenOne has just asked if he can come with me...... He may never speak to me again after today - RESULT!!

Top Bottom