Is this frame damaged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
When replacing the rear wheel after some routine maintenance I noticed the rear fork appears to have 'spread' for some reason. I checked the frame for cracks etc but found nothing untoward. I have noticed nothing different in how the bike handles lately and have not had any spills. The frame is about five years old, aluminium, and and has covered something in the region of 18,000 miles. I have used the bike for camping tours, including lejog so it has been well and truly loaded on occasions, the last time was in 2019. This 'spreading' is quite a recent occurrence because I am certain I would have spotted it when working on the bike. In the image below the other end of the spindle is sitting properly in the slot. Has anyone got any thoughts on what is going on or if the frame is safe to ride.

I assume you have taken it out and put it back in again but this time flat just to remove the variable of doing something silly and not putting it in centred?

Have you also removed the accessories such as mudguards and pannier racks as I have on occasion found they move the frame and when you release the pressure the frame bounces back to shape? It happened on a Boardman frame I had but not on any other frame I have owned. Was a bit weird!

Failing that when you take out the wheel the spacing is usually 130OCD for rim brake and 135OCD for disc brake (unless it is a vintage), If it isn’t either of these measurements it would confirm it has spread.

As for a solution I haven’t a clue but if it is has spread I would be wary of riding it as it is alloy.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

I assume you have taken it out and put it back in again but this time flat just to remove the variable of doing something silly and not putting it in centred?

Have you also removed the accessories such as mudguards and pannier racks as I have on occasion found they move the frame and when you release the pressure the frame bounces back to shape? It happened on a Boardman frame I had but not on any other frame I have owned. Was a bit weird!

Failing that when you take out the wheel the spacing is usually 130OCD for rim brake and 135OCD for disc brake (unless it is a vintage), If it isn’t either of these measurements it would confirm it has spread.

As for a solution I haven’t a clue but if it is has spread I would be wary of riding it as it is alloy.
The bike has been in its present configuration for more than a year now so I do not think its that, and as you say I am wary of using it until I have a better idea of what is going on. As I mentioned, the bike has been well used so I don't suppose it owes me anything if I have to send it to the big cycle track in the sky.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Loaded rack may have contributed to it, although you would have thought the QR being in place would have stopped it moving in the first place hence why would it have spread slightly?

Does it all sit true with the wheel in and QR nipped up? If so I reckon it will be fine.

You would have noticed if you'd have taken the wheel out at any point, as it would have been a bugger to get back in.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
With the wheel out, if you squeeze the stays (not too hard) do they spring equally or does one side move more than the other? If the latter then investigate that side.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Well, I stripped the rear end of the bike yesterday in order to examine it more closely and as far as I can see, the only thing that doe's not seem right is that the non drive side is 'sprung out' a little. I tried squeezing the stays as Ian H suggested but there is very little movement on either side. After a careful examination of the frame and welds I found no trace of a failure although I do realise that there could possibly be a hairline crack hidden by the paint. As a result I have decided to relegate the old lass to shopping duties only and keep a look out for a replacement. (the bike that is, not the missus)

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
I could tell from the OP you wanted a new bike. 🚴‍♂️+🚴‍♂️
Enjoy ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
Like the OP, I wonder how the OLD of that rear triangle increased from 130mm to 137mm. Can anyone think of a mechanism? I suppose a 135mm rear hub might have been forced in there and ridden for 100s of miles and the aluminium stays slowly plasticced to accommodate (but a serious stretch (of imagination)).

Top Bottom