Is this good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Bonj Hovi said:
Bonj, oh Bonj, oh Bonj,

Your ramblings offer further support to you being positioned on the autistic spectrum.

Jesus mate, lighten up a bit! LOL!!!

You must have realised that all Bonj is doing is trying to stimulate a bit of debate in order to get the best overall response for the original poster. What he's doing is admittedly a bit guileful, but he is simply extracting the best from you guys for a common good.

I'd imagine he's not the sort of guy to expect an apology, but I think a bit of bonhomie and lateral thinking might be in order from now on....

Tony

Bonj, if you knew anything about metallurgy.....
Your bike will not be made of aluminium, but of an aluminium alloy, of which there are many. One example of such an alloy is Dural, which in essence is an alu-copper alloy. This affects the yield point, work-hardening and other aspects of the material. Your bike, if it is worth anything, should also have steel inserts at certain points, such as the drop outs, as alu is softer than steel and more likely to deform under such things as axle nut compression.
It is not the molecules in your frame material that are likely to change. A piece of metal is not a crystalline matrix, but an amalgam of grains. It is common metallurgical practice to take a cross section of a sample and polish it smooth at one end to reveal the granular structure. This structure can change under, in particular, cyclic stresses such as flex, or, importantly, cyclic compression such as happens every time you turn your pedals while riding. This is cyclic compression, NOT flex, and can lead to fatigue failure. Stress meters/strain guages can record microscopic movement that you would not detect as flex.
Such cyclic stresses can alter the structure and arrangement of the metal's granular structure. They can, for example, initiate cracks. Such microscopic cracks can propagate, and with stress concentration at areas such as joints become major features leading to failure. That is why a decently engineered frame should have smooth radius curves, not sharp corners.

Bonj Hovi

Tony said:
Bonj, if you knew anything about metallurgy.....

Don't waste your words. If it isn't in Ladybird books Bonj won't have encountered the big words and certainly won't understand the pictures though he might try to trace the grain boundaries as they make a pretty picture or two to colour in.

U

User482

Bonj

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln.

Bonj Hovi

User482 said:
Bonj

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln.

Bonj is forever the fool
Using facts and empirical rule
Argues black's the new white
And steel frames aren't right
Oh boy is he such a tool

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bonj Hovi said:

Bonj is forever the fool
Using facts and empirical rule
Argues black's the new white
And steel frames aren't right
Oh boy is he such a tool

Tool? Tool? He doesn't need a tool just carry the bike on your back to the nearest bike shop!

bonj2

i notice no constructive objection to my post of page 19 @ 21:10, instead, more drivel and meaningless insults.

Abitrary

bonj said:
i notice no constructive objection to my post of page 19 @ 21:10, instead, more drivel and meaningless insults.

I attempted to make them aware that all you were doing was instituting a bit of constructive debate, about 5 posts back, but I was completely ignored.

They seem to have it in for you, in the same way as the queer shop guys do in the film Pulp Fiction..

Tony

It's page 18 Bonj, and I answered it below on the same page. Unless you count a quick lesson in metallurgy as drivel.....
On the same page. Do you want a really detailed response covering dendritic cooling, yield points, grain size and compression loading?
The best thing about aluminium frames is that you can make thermite from them.

Tony

Abitrary said:
I attempted to make them aware that all you were doing was instituting a bit of constructive debate, about 5 posts back, but I was completely ignored.

They seem to have it in for you, in the same way as the queer shop guys do in the film Pulp Fiction..
Fetch the gimp Bonj!

bonj2

Tony said:
It's page 18 Bonj, and I answered it below on the same page. Unless you count a quick lesson in metallurgy as drivel.....
On the same page. Do you want a really detailed response covering dendritic cooling, yield points, grain size and compression loading?
The best thing about aluminium frames is that you can make thermite from them.

that wasn't 'constructive objection', it was just another of your steelophilic rants that you just reeled off in about 10 seconds 'cos you've become so well practised on lecturing people on the virtues of steel and the evils of aluminium that you don't even appear to be noticing that they're actually asking specific, valid, questions back.
In fact I dont' know about constructve objection - it wasn't 'objection' at all, as the content of my post didn't really seem to affect the contents of your lecture in the slightest. You wanted to have a rant to show how much you think you know about metals, and you were going to type exactly the same text no matter what I posted. I wouldn't be surprised if you havent' even read my post at all.

Bonj Hovi

bonj said:
that wasn't 'constructive objection', it was just another of your steelophilic rants that you just reeled off in about 10 seconds 'cos you've become so well practised on lecturing people on the virtues of steel and the evils of aluminium that you don't even appear to be noticing that they're actually asking specific, valid, questions back.
In fact I dont' know about constructve objection - it wasn't 'objection' at all, as the content of my post didn't really seem to affect the contents of your lecture in the slightest. You wanted to have a rant to show how much you think you know about metals, and you were going to type exactly the same text no matter what I posted. I wouldn't be surprised if you havent' even read my post at all.

Oh Bonj's last comment's a hoot
His logic just does not compute
For it's he who can't read
But he can write a screed
Oh he is such a humourless coot

If he took the time to digest
The knowledge that others divest
He'd be better placed
To avoid the disgrace
Of having his 'knowledge' described as a guess

U

User482

bonj said:

Reading back through this thread, I can't see anything you've raised that hasn't been answered. What are you referring to?

Tony

Bonj, I have four steel bikes, one alu bike, and one alu and carbon-fibre bike. I pick the material for the job I want it to do. If you bothered to read the bit of materials science that I gave you, you would see that it talks about metals in general. But then, you are very good at seeing what you want to see....
Bonj, God has guided my Path to you as a Good Christian Soul, with a Third in Physics, and I nkow that your Honorableness will wish to help me with the release of A Large Sum of Dollars from United Staes. If you will onour me with the details of your most private banking account....

Top Bottom