Is this shifter broken or can it be saved?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

20201127_151349.jpg
20201127_162414.jpg
20201127_165725.jpg

Basically when the big lever is pushed the smaller lever won't go back as the little metal bit gets stuck as seen in photo. But if I only push the small lever it comes back. Is this shifter broken?

Shimano? LH shifter?
Is this shifter broken?
Yes. Common fault. Warranty repair if still covered, but you will wait months for Madison to deal with your claim.

Otherwise new shifter time.

Well, if its under warranty then put in a claim, but you will wait and wait. Then buy a new unit and fit that. When/if Madison agree your claim then you will have a spare for next time. But...Madison do not always agree with you and can reject your claim purely because they feel like it. And you have no redress. (Personal experience here!)

If out of warranty then you will just have to take it on the chin. There are many stories doing the rounds of LH shifters going wrong. Trouble there is no real alternative other than a complete change of system and that will cost more than a single shifter.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Well, if its under warranty then put in a claim, but you will wait and wait. Then buy a new unit and fit that. When/if Madison agree your claim then you will have a spare for next time. But...Madison do not always agree with you and can reject your claim purely because they feel like it. And you have no redress. (Personal experience here!)

If out of warranty then you will just have to take it on the chin. There are many stories doing the rounds of LH shifters going wrong. Trouble there is no real alternative other than a complete change of system and that will cost more than a single shifter.

What would you say is good? Shimano 105, Tiagra? Sram? Something that won't break the bank lol

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It might clean up, although it looks in generally quite poor nick (so way, way beyond warranty I'm guessing)... I suspect it's going to need replacing. I've had a Tiagra left shifter fail at only 3 months old, it happens. I was lucky that mine was within warranty, the retailer (Paul's Bikes in Norfolk) replaced it without quibble.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

What is it?
The simplest solution will be to replace like with like.

Is it only the claris groupset that has this shifter issues or others have it too? As well as Tiagra.

Is it only the claris groupset that has this shifter issues or others have it too? As well as Tiagra.
I've heard reports of all Shimano bar Dura Ace. I've had an Ultegra go, and I've heard other Ultegras and 105 reports. Seems to be all across the board on LH shifters. Some are OK but it is very much pot luck.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's not a huge problem, I think we're in danger of overstating it here. I've had just the one shifter go ping in all my life, just happened to be a Shimano Ultegra. I've got one Ultegra equipped bike, one 105, and one Sora and they're all reliable other than that one snap.

If yours is Claris, I'd replace it with a Claris.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom