Is this the bike it says it is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
D
So "commuterben" isn't going to commute as he has to pay car tax this month. What an odd thread this is ?

Wonder who might be selling the bike on ebay ?
Defiantly not me! I have a daughter so need a car to pick her up from school! Why would I be asking about other bikes if i was selling one?

Ben.

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
I quite like the l
If your budget is max £250 - how about this? A Raleigh Strada Sprint at £250. The only downside is that they've got it in Small (47cm) and Large (55cm) only, not Medium (51cm).

Aluminium frame, Shimano 2300 16-speed gears.

It looks like the same frame as my Raleigh Airlite although is apparently made by Diamondback and the same fork/bars/shifters. The chainset and brakes are the same as the standard Raleigh Team Sprint.

raleigh_strada.jpg
look of that to be fair!
You might find a Giant Defy 5 in your budget but only just.I would reccomend finding a couple of bikes close to you that you like the look of and then post up on here for advice.
I have found a local bike shop which I am going to browse today so ill post some more pics up later for you guys to give your views on!

Thanks for the support and help!

Ben.

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
Jut been to my local bike shop and he has a giant road bike but there wasn't anyone around to ask who knew anything about bikes, just his wife! Where would I find the size of the frame on the bike?! What should I be looking for when inspecting a second hand bike?

Ben.

vickster

Legendary Member
Where would I find the size of the frame on the bike?! What should I be looking for when inspecting a second hand bike?
On a sticker on the down tube, just below the crossbar (where they were in 2012 anyhow) - along with the model number

jay clock

Massive member
Avoid that Vitesse like the plague....

jay clock

Massive member
Any particular reason? :-)
ok.....
1 weight. I think someone said 15kg. Not so much an issue in itself but it means poor quality parts, which is why they are heavy
2 Gear shifters are a design from the ark.
3 solid axles with bolt on wheels. a real fiddle to fit and remove
4 cheap tyres that will need replacing very soon
5 steel fork (ie heavy and less comfy)
6 I believe the rear gears are a freewheel rather than cassette. Poor and dated
7 Sizing looks enormous (may not be a prob but minimum inside leg of 33")
8 but also suits 12 yr olds!

Read the negative reviews on Amazon.....

Have a look at the Triban 3 at Decathlon, or if not they do a hybrid which is currently £199 based on the same frame as the triban 3 but with alloy fork, and no suspension (which adds weight and slows you down)

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
That's so helpful thank you! Do you have a link to the hybrid I'm struggling to find it on the website! Was considering a hybrid as my back is playing up at the moment!

Ben.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was in the Southampton branch and saw it. White frame but no suspension. Looked excellent for the cash. Cannot see it online.
Would it be this one? LINK

It's similar to the Triban frame but you get a steel fork instead of the carbon one (makes it 1.1kg heavier) and it's a 7 speed cassette. So not as good a spec as the Triban but personally I'd still pick it over that Vitesse.

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
Southampton is bloody miles away from me haha! Will have a gander at my closest store and give them a call!

Thanks for your help!

Ben.

Top Bottom