Is this the bike it says it is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CommuterBen

Regular
Saw this on eBay and just wondered if it was what they say it was. As I know little of bikes and this is my first time buying I thought I'd ask the pros. Can anyone tell me which year it is?

supposedly has:

carbon seat post
carbon fact forks
michelin lithion 2 tyres

Also how much should i be looking to pay for this bike? I don't want to be taken for a fool and pay well over the odds!

bike.JPG

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's an Allez, which will have carbon forks. Carbon seat post would be an upgrade and yes, it's got Lithion tyres according to the photos.

Price-wise? It's 2010-ish and it's running Sora groupset from what I can see.

I'd suggest it'll go for £280-300 but that's a shot in the dark. eBay prices still seem above what I'd pay, particularly when I've been selling items ^_^ but also when I'm buying :angry:

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
sounds good to me then was just making sure that I was buying the right bike as i'm a novice! Didn't want to fall for over pricing or things that were listed that aren't actually there! Are these bikes any good? I could get a triban for £50 more brand new?

Thanks for the swift and helpful replies

Ben.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
True - the Allez is popular, but the Sora version there will be 3300 rather than the current 3400. That may be similar to the new Shimano 2300 that's on the Triban.

nickg

Über Member
I feel second.hand you get more value but brand new its shiny and new. Basically I bought second hand because I got more for my money, and you could probably sell it on for same sort of money if you don't get the cycling bug or decide to upgrade in couple of years. I can't comment on the bike quality because I don't know one.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Price-wise? It's 2010-ish and it's running Sora groupset from what I can see.

It's not a 2010 Allez imho, the 2010 Allez has a curved top tube as can be seen on bikepedia
http://www.bikepedia.com/Search.aspx?Q=2010 allez#.UPMwpZxFDbU

IMHO its more likely a 2007 or 2008 model going by the top tube.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...zed&Model=Allez Double&Type=bike#.UPMx8pxFDbU

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
I'd say it is 2008 or older. From 2009 the allez has had a curved top tube. That looks like a flat one to me. Specialized bike archive here.
awesome site! Just looked and found the following images! 2009 onward does seem to have a slight curvature but I have the following pictures if anyone would like to help me guess the year of the bike!
AL_Elite_Int_Dbl_GL_Blk_TG.jpg

9080-42_l.jpg

in 2010 the decals seem to be the same but there is a slight curve so I havent bothered upload the picture! But I think it looks quite similar to both of these so could be either really!

OP
OP
CommuterBen

CommuterBen

Regular
My guess at the age would be 2007 although specialized can tell you that for certain, get the frame number and call a concept store

Havent bought it yet so at £250 for a 5 year old make seems a bit steep when i could pay £160 for a decent spec brand new bike seeing as im a noob and only commuting

Ben.

Top Bottom