Is this the UK's poshest bike shop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Has Hambini reviewed the frames yet? ^_^

I know he likes the build quality of the Look frames. However where are Cipolini frames actually made, East Asia sweat shop of some secluded Italian back street by an ageing ex Pro :whistle:

Are the bottom brackets round and aligned measure to standard??

Reactions: DRM

CXRAndy

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/1i4rgxOi73c

Perhaps they modelled their business on this bloke :rolleyes:

So true for some :laugh:

Tom B

Guru
I wonder if these posh shops have the bike shops smell? If not then they're not real bike shops.

I think the welcoming of non buyers is what sets a high class place apart from a snobby place.

I regularly go into a posh car dealership for my work that is of no financial benefit to them at all. Their cars are of no interest to me and beyond my means. Non the less each time I visit I'm offered an (excellent brew or how chocolate) and a choc chip muffin, get to sit on a comfier sofa than I have at home and staff spend as much time is I need from them helping.

People will pay for the nice shop experience, it's why the two barbers at the end of my road co-exist. One wears jeans and tee shirt, lets you read his magazines, listen to talk sport and gives you a short back and sides while watching his gas fire and charges £5.
The other has sky TV, iPads, air con, gives a beer, fancy uniforms has a super modern shop with all sorts of lotions and potions and gives you a short back and sides for £20.
Nett effect is the same the morning after so fiver it is for me.

The bike shop smell is basically GT85 and rubber. Glade should make a plug-in air freshener based on it.
I see/smell where you are coming from, but can't be rubber? Something synthetic?
Or fried dust?
Places hardly smell these days of course - too obsessed with smooth style/cleanliness etc etc - fond memories of an old shoe shop as a kid.

DRM

Guru
Has Hambini reviewed the frames yet? ^_^

I know he likes the build quality of the Look frames. However where are Cipolini frames actually made, East Asia sweat shop of some secluded Italian back street by an ageing ex Pro :whistle:

Are the bottom brackets round and aligned measure to standard??
That's is exactly it, if you went in and was measured up for a hand built frame, that was then painted in the colour scheme you wanted, and finished with the components you want, then fair do's call it a bespoke bike, but to be sold an over priced Far East made frame is an absolute p155 take as far as I'm concerned, no snobbery but see it for what it is, I believe similar establishments exist in the world of hi-fi too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The bike shop smell is basically GT85 and rubber. Glade should make a plug-in air freshener based on it.

SOLD ! :rolleyes:

Doug.

Veteran
I happened upon the website of Push Cartel which led me to wonder if there are any posher - or more expensive - bike shops.

Based in Ambleside in the Lake District, they describe themselves as bicycle ateliers.

Atelier, google informs me, is an artists' studio, so this mob clearly consider themselves to be artists rather than bike retailers and repairers.

That might qualify for another award - the bike shop with the most pretentious self-description.

I'm bound to observe this particular artist's studio looks like a tin shed from the outside, although it's nicely fitted out inside.

A visit is tempting, but that better not be on a Monday which is reserved for customers who are having a "£10,000 and above" bike build.

Cipollini and Parlee get lots of mentions, although there is a lowly Orbea ebike in one of the pictures.

Good luck to them if they can make a business solely from those prepared to spend thousands, but I wonder if there are many of those customers, even in a wealthy area such as the Lake District.

https://www.pushcartel.co.uk/
If they can make an honest living ,good luck to them.

Jimidh

Veteran
Some great bike brands plus they have been going for quite some years so there is clearly a market.

I do however have a particular hatred for anyone who used the work ‘curated’ unless they work in a museum.

It just reeks of self importance and is basically a load of old wnk.

Top Bottom