Is this the UK's poshest bike shop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Going back to Push Bikes Cartel, their company assets are in stocks (£92,000) for 2018 but they owe creditors £135,000. They had 13k in the bank account. There are two employees both of which are the directors of the company (although the website states 6 employees).

The company owes the directors £150,000 and pays rent of £9000 to one of the directors. It was noted that the largest creditors of the company are the directors who expect to trade into profit.

Accounts are only available for 2017, and 2018. 2019 are due to be posted but are not yet done. Their facebook suggests that they are doing well though, and the two directors do seem to be in it entirely for the love of cycling. It would be interesting to see their 2019 accounts as the 2017/18 suggests that they were very much in an initial set up phase. So however pretentious their website, they don't seem to have any other companies, investments or indeed interest other than building and riding the very best bikes.

Slick

Guru
Going back to Push Bikes Cartel, their company assets are in stocks (£92,000) for 2018 but they owe creditors £135,000. They had 13k in the bank account. There are two employees both of which are the directors of the company (although the website states 6 employees).

The company owes the directors £150,000 and pays rent of £9000 to one of the directors. It was noted that the largest creditors of the company are the directors who expect to trade into profit.

Accounts are only available for 2017, and 2018. 2019 are due to be posted but are not yet done. Their facebook suggests that they are doing well though, and the two directors do seem to be in it entirely for the love of cycling. It would be interesting to see their 2019 accounts as the 2017/18 suggests that they were very much in an initial set up phase. So however pretentious their website, they don't seem to have any other companies, investments or indeed interest other than building and riding the very best bikes.
Could just be creative accounting and a great excuse to get money out your business tax free. :okay:

If you are going to source your bicycle from an atelier, dont make the faux pas of filling your bidon from the same. Water is of course sourced from a sommelier who can advise the most appropriate spring water to accompany your riding style.

I wonder how well Rose will survive if Our Glorious Prime Minister doesn't achieve a free trade deal in the next 366 days? Otherwise it'll be like ordering parts from the USA, and that's rarely viable. VAT, duties, repacking charges, punitive international postage rates.
How far off the coast of Europe are we being towed, and why aren't we being told about the move? :laugh:

Any bike shop who refers to their customers as “clients” needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Ladies of the night have “clients” ( allegedly). Bike shops have customers.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In the also ran category is Cycle Art in Prudhoe, Northumberland.

Among their brands is Cervelo, Colnago, and Reilly, so four figure prices rather than five.

Me and a mate called in for a nose and to use the cafe.

We were made welcome, and the staff member who served us even wandered outside to have a closer look at my Riese and Muller ebike.

It does have a Rohloff hub and decent components elsewhere, so it just about passed muster.

The shop is on a small industrial estate, directly opposite Giant 'Newcastle', which isn't, it's in Prudhoe but that's another marketing story.

Someone told me the same guy owns both shops. so I expect the Giant one provides his bread and butter.

http://cycle-art.co.uk/

I have noticed Cycle Art, when I have been at Giant (Newcastle) Store, shall have to have a browse next time.

Have bought three bicycles (not all at same time), from the Giant Store, they were very helpful. In particular, they took time out to give Mrs Boldonlad a few useful tips (I had already said the same things to her myself, but, she listen to them). ;)

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Private Eye have been doing a great investigation of those tourist tat shops that seem to be able to be viable in prime london locations like the Trocadero. They definitely are money laundering operations. The owners / directors of the companies change regularly every few weeks having invested heavily and paid dividends out without being too concerned about actually having customers...

Not much tax paid either, according to Private Eye ;)

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have noticed Cycle Art, when I have been at Giant (Newcastle) Store, shall have to have a browse next time.

Have bought three bicycles (not all at same time), from the Giant Store, they were very helpful. In particular, they took time out to give Mrs Boldonlad a few useful tips (I had already said the same things to her myself, but, she listen to them). ;)

Good recommendation, and fits in with the owner being interested in cycling, rather than a businessman out to make a quick buck.

Prudhoe is a good day ride from our neck of the woods - out on the north side of the Tyne and back on the south side.

Your small relief was premature I'm afraid. From the Bespoke Builds page they have:
'We will ascertain the build and delivery times for every part of your commission. Your components will be hand crafted by artisans from workshops around the world, and assembled by ourselves with the precision and skill that comes only from years of experience working with the finest manufacturers.'
This sort of stuff always reminds me of those plummy voiced marks and spencers food ads.
But didn't you miss out a line about each part being lubed pre fitting by the workshop team's intimate organs?

Top Bottom