Is Titanium worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
"Much much faster" because the smoothness allows you to fit narrower tyres, which absorb less energy? Or do you feel the frame itself is intrinsically faster?
can't comment on the above tandem, but my Van Nic Ti does seem to absorb energy, so can appreciate the comments, my Ti doesn't feel fast, but the times show it isn't a slouch & can shift a bit, but when riding it doesn't feel as quick & responsive as carbon

swansonj

Guru
can't comment on the above tandem, but my Van Nic Ti does seem to absorb energy, so can appreciate the comments, my Ti doesn't feel fast, but the times show it isn't a slouch & can shift a bit, but when riding it doesn't feel as quick & responsive as carbon
I asked, because these discussions about frame materials always interest me. When people buy a frame made from a more expensive material, they are quite often changing other things too: quite likely more expensive wheels, different tyres, different riding position (quite possibly more sporty and therefore aerodynamic). We know that, objectively, riding position/aerodynamics and tyres make more difference to the power in versus speed out equation than anything else. So it's always interesting to try to trease out how much of the difference is directly due to the frame and how much to indirect factors that flow from the frame.

Plus, don't ignore the effects of psychology. We all feel excited by a new bike so are inclined to push harder on it and then tempted to believe it's a faster bike. We are all inclined to believe that something we've paid more money for must be better. And, if a frame feels stiffer, that has an objective mechanical benefit, but also a psychological benefit in that we feel encouraged to push harder.

Don't think I'm being dismissive, by the way, all these benefits are real ones.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I asked, because these discussions about frame materials always interest me. When people buy a frame made from a more expensive material, they are quite often changing other things too: quite likely more expensive wheels, different tyres, different riding position (quite possibly more sporty and therefore aerodynamic). We know that, objectively, riding position/aerodynamics and tyres make more difference to the power in versus speed out equation than anything else. So it's always interesting to try to trease out how much of the difference is directly due to the frame and how much to indirect factors that flow from the frame.

Plus, don't ignore the effects of psychology. We all feel excited by a new bike so are inclined to push harder on it and then tempted to believe it's a faster bike. We are all inclined to believe that something we've paid more money for must be better. And, if a frame feels stiffer, that has an objective mechanical benefit, but also a psychological benefit in that we feel encouraged to push harder.

Don't think I'm being dismissive, by the way, all these benefits are real ones.
Conformation bias is a kicker isn't it?

fwiw I've swapped a frame three times on the same wheels and components and near identical riding positions... as far as I can tell the biggest change has been in my head.

my Van Nic Ti does seem to absorb energy, so can appreciate the comments, my Ti doesn't feel fast, but the times show it isn't a slouch & can shift a bit, but when riding it doesn't feel as quick & responsive as carbon
Funny, that's exactly how Paul Smith described his first impressions of his Van Nic to me, when I first visited Enigma. I didn't have that impression from my Enigma, but then I hate riding carbon - feels like riding plastic. Er... oh.

rvw

Guru
"Much much faster" because the smoothness allows you to fit narrower tyres, which absorb less energy? Or do you feel the frame itself is intrinsically faster?
We have much the same tires on the Thorn. I think it's mostly the weight (a full stone lighter) and the smoothness of the ride which make it faster. We've never tried to nail down what is specifically better, but on the stretch of road where we normally speed up, we're 10% faster on the Santana than on the Thorn!

amir

Über Member
I've had a VN for many years now. I've had an alu frame also and steel (725). I'd say that geometry, fork, tyres and wheels are critical to the ride of a bike so you should take a holistic view. The titanium frame is still lovely after all that time though. It's so easy to clean and of course you don't need to worry about paint chips (always a concern on my steel bike). However I did have to get the frame replaced under warranty when it cracked at the BB. Welding titanium is apparently trickier than steel or aluminium. So do check out warranty terms.

If I was looking for a new bike now, I'd want to get wide enough clearance to get wider tyres on (25s or 28s). That can make a big difference to comfort with little effect on potential speed.

toontra

Veteran
My VN Yukon is coming up for it's 10th birthday and has carried me on all my landmark endurance rides over that time. Despite having a new Cervelo, it was very nice to take the VN on the monthly London-Bath run on Saturday and reminded me why I love it so much and how reliable it has been, despite minimal care.

[QUOTE="ianrauk, post: 4434964, member: 1348"
The Ti is a mix of everything but first and foremost, it's a just buttery smooth ride, so ideal for the long distances that I do. The bike is 3 years old and everytime I take it out for a ride it's like I am riding it for the first time again.

That's a great endorsement thankyou and I have room in my stable...well I don't but It will be found. ^_^

I've been looking for years but never pulled the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Its pretty meaningless in as much as I would say the same about my steel bike.

It all boils down to whether you want and can afford titanium. Don't waste your time trying to justify it in ride terms.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Hi, I am still here however I have busted a shoulder in coming off
So no hurry here
Really like the Enigma bikes, sjhould be going for one

Sorry to hear that, hope you are on the mend and not too badly hurt!
I'm starting to think about my next n+1, i want to get titanium - not sure which make yet. Will take me about 3 years to save up for it thou!
Will be interested to see what you end up getting!

In a word ?
No.
I had a Van Nick and I saw no worth in the extra expense.
I'm having more fun on my Alloy bike than I did on the titanium.
It's always nice to tell people you have one though ^_^

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I got a Burls custom Ti frame a few years back now - with the money I saved commuting from Leicester to Coventry and back by bike. Its lovely - can't recommend TI (and Burls frames) highly enough...

Top Bottom