Is Titanium worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That looks very nice. How do you find the ride compared to Alu or carbon....is it some kind of sweet spot , looks aside ?

I ride an Alu as an everyday commute/touring bike (Pinnacle Pyrolite), it's a comfy ride with a good turn of speed. It punches well above it's weight. It's a pretty light machine too. Alu seem's to have an undeserved bad rep. They may have been a harsh ride in the old days (I didn't enjoy the Alu Spesh Secteur I had), but with modern methods of bike making, it's all changed now.
The Carbon I had was a Spesh Roubaix, now in the hands of Mr @mark st1 , 'twas a most wonderful ride. So very comfy, quick and flew up hills, deserved to be ridden fast. I didn't want to get rid of it but because of my Van Nick, it just wasn't being used.
The Ti is a mix of everything but first and foremost, it's a just buttery smooth ride, so ideal for the long distances that I do. The bike is 3 years old and everytime I take it out for a ride it's like I am riding it for the first time again.

doog

[QUOTE="ianrauk, post: 4434964, member: 1348"
The Ti is a mix of everything but first and foremost, it's a just buttery smooth ride, so ideal for the long distances that I do. The bike is 3 years old and everytime I take it out for a ride it's like I am riding it for the first time again.[/QUOTE]

That's a great endorsement thankyou and I have room in my stable...well I don't but It will be found. ^_^

I've been looking for years but never pulled the trigger.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of going with the Ventus, just need to decide if I want 105 or Ultegra on it; £300 difference not sure if it is worth it. Then I've got to get my lazy arse over to Long Eaton to sort it
I had the same dilemma, but when I got my C2W voucher I didn't have £700 spare, so that made my mind up :laugh: & the amount it's getting ridden 105 replacement parts will be easier on the pocket too :okay:

Lee_M

Guru
Having just made a trip to swift cycles in spitalfields, I can honestly say Titanium is vastly over priced, it isn't very good, and a shop should know better than having three different Enigmas to drool....err dislike, and there is no way I will be going back in a couple of week for a bike fit and a discussion about them. Nope, no way, defintely not...... err....

vickster

Legendary Member
My dream Ti machine. Probably terrible value for money compared to some of the other suggestions on here, but just look at it!

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-just-killing-time.html
I don't personally find it very attractive in the metal (they have one in the Sutton store usually), just too heavy looking and 'blokey' for me. I like the lighter Ti frames, like the utterly gorgeous but no longer available Condor Gran Fondo with it's lush etching and no dark coloured decals...the one that got away :cry::cry::cry:

vickster

Legendary Member
She's not my type (i.e. female), so I have no idea how to judge such things

Just because I don't like the look of the Pearson bike doesn't mean you won't ;)

Pearson's shop is 10 minutes from me, so it's easy to look at their bikes :smile: (essentially my LBS, although Halfords a little nearer).

I do have a couple of their older models already :smile: If I were to go that sort of non mass produced route, it'd likely be a Condor now

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
My fitness, or lack of it, doesn't really come into it. I'm fantasising about it as a last bike and a bike to last. Oh, and a triple, I really prefer triples to compacts!
Well I used to think that and do need help with steeper hills, but form has improved and 50/34 and 1132 is good enough for me.
However there is still that attraction for those extra low gears!

Just because I don't like the look of the Pearson bike doesn't mean you won't ;)
True, but then we both seem to appreciate the classic lines of an Equilibrium and the Condor range. And detest black paintjobs. So I reckon our tastes are not dissimilar.

I do have a couple of their older models already :smile: If I were to go that sort of non mass produced route, it'd likely be a Condor now
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever buy a Pearson, unless a bargain second-hand one was to come to my attention. They fall between 2 stools for me in the sense that I can't can't justify that kind of outlay on a bike, and if in the future that changes I'd probably not settle for one but save the extra couple of thou to get a bespoke handmade machine built.

Top Bottom