Is vintage Dura Ace better than new Sora?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Miles better - 7400 is fabulous - shan't be watching the video. Much better finishing, ceramic sealed bushed jockeys, titanium headset cup treatment, superior finishes, and it will last much longer. Not sure you could say the same about the newer stuff, other than weight.

Shimano high tech is always made out of exotic, high strength materials. Once it trickles down to lesser groupsets, I wonder if it is still viable, or do all of those thin stamped steel sprockets get a liitle too flexi.
Shimano do forged aluminium well at all levels and I rate the thicker low end stuff as possibly more durable . Not convinced that modern BB systems are worth it.

Jameshow

Veteran
How will that work spacers on 9-10 speed cassettes?

11 speed chain and cassettes will wear faster than current 9speed stuff.

Time to stock up.

I'm guessing 9 spd stuff will be around for many years to come.

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
How will that work spacers on 9-10 speed cassettes?

11 speed chain and cassettes will wear faster than current 9speed stuff.

Time to stock up.

I'm guessing 8 spd stuff will be around for many years to come

I'm not entirely sure how any of it will work, it is after all just a report, lacking in technical detail. Whilst the progress will in someway be useful, it seems to be a move to put manufacturers front and centre rather than customers, which perhaps is understandable from a manufacturer perspective since there are so many different but fairly mediocre groupsets each with different components, a rationalisation seems like a good move, but it still feels like they've created a whole new range of very mediocre groupsets. I guess we have to wait for the details..

Steeler

Über Member
I'm still digesting that report on the Shimano Cues range...a single pull ratio and one chain size across the range is good especially if the furture Cues road (drop bar) range is the same and compatible.
Looks as though it's curtains for rim brake calipers sadly though which is probably why you can only find disc brake frames if you want to build up a bike to your own requirements.

Steeler

Über Member
Having read the Bikeradar article, what I noticed is the 14T spacing on a lot of the new double chainsets. I use a Tiagra R460 (48/34T) on one of my bikes and find that I need to make fewer front derailleur changes than with a 16T (50/34T) compact.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I used to have 48/34 some years ago on a 2012 giant defy, the chainrings were seemingly intended for Cyclo-Cross racing, but that didn't stop me using it for road, it worked well enough, I don't think it made any kind of lasting impact on me as I replaced it with a 34/50 when it was worn out.

cyberknight

I used to have 48/34 some years ago on a 2012 giant defy, the chainrings were seemingly intended for Cyclo-Cross racing, but that didn't stop me using it for road, it worked well enough, I don't think it made any kind of lasting impact on me as I replaced it with a 34/50 when it was worn out.

currently running 50/36 with 11-28 but tbh i dont use the 11 , but i have just ordered 2 more cassettes that were on offer so im set for at least another year or two ( 3 bikes to use then for )

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Having read the Bikeradar article, what I noticed is the 14T spacing on a lot of the new double chainsets. I use a Tiagra R460 (48/34T) on one of my bikes and find that I need to make fewer front derailleur changes than with a 16T (50/34T) compact.

I ran both 50/36 and 48/34 on my bikes, they were much more usable than the standard 50/34 setup.

cyberknight

I ran both 50/36 and 48/34 on my bikes, they were much more usable than the standard 50/34 setup.

pre lockdown i took the bike for a service and the lbs replaced a 50 with a 48 and never told me , i wasnt too pleased and got a refund and sourced a replacement myself ,It aint that hard to find a 4 bolt 50 tooth chain ring ffs

Top Bottom