Is vintage Dura Ace better than new Sora?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm guessing 9 spd stuff will be around for many years to come.

I would think so. You can still get 6/7/8 speed and I suspect 5 speed if I looked.

Twilkes

Guru
I went all the way down to 46-34 with an 11-32 cassette, 10sp Tiagra. The top gear is the same as the old 50 chainring with a 12-28 cassette and means I don't have to faff around making up a custom 12-32 cassette. Gear changes when coming onto a hill seem much easier, and I can stay on the big chainring for longer more generally.

'Modern' Tiagra is fairly new so surprised they're proposing dropping that, guess it's a different chain to 11-speed though. Will be stocking up on parts if so!

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I went all the way down to 46-34 with an 11-32 cassette, 10sp Tiagra. The top gear is the same as the old 50 chainring with a 12-28 cassette and means I don't have to faff around making up a custom 12-32 cassette. Gear changes when coming onto a hill seem much easier, and I can stay on the big chainring for longer more generally.

'Modern' Tiagra is fairly new so surprised they're proposing dropping that, guess it's a different chain to 11-speed though. Will be stocking up on parts if so!

With a top gear of 40 x 11 I can still comfortably maintain 24 mph on the flat. I find that sufficient for my needs.

Twilkes

Guru
With a top gear of 40 x 11 I can still comfortably maintain 24 mph on the flat. I find that sufficient for my needs.

I just checked my last ride, in top gear for 60 seconds at 30mph with a tailwind but similar reasoning, I'm not going to be making use of anything bigger, I'm not racing anybody and my days of accelerating down steep hills are long gone!

To be honest, I read the article and thought, you’ve just confused the living daylights out of everyone.

You’ve got established hierarchy for road and MTB, then you have a GRX range for “gravel” and now you have cues which is meant to be less of a faff because of interchangeable parts but to me the irony of it that is the LBS will now need to stock another set of parts to cater for old and new bikes!!

Twilkes

Guru
And great for modern MTBing , works just as well and I've not met anyone who's gone back to 3x.
I wouldn't want one on a road bike though.

The way I read about it that makes sense for me is that if you're proper MTBing then your speed never really stays the same for long enough for cadence to be much of an issue, whereas on road you'll want the closer available ratios of a 2x as sitting at slightly the wrong cadence for minutes at a time can be frustrating.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The way I read about it that makes sense for me is that if you're proper MTBing then your speed never really stays the same for long enough for cadence to be much of an issue, whereas on road you'll want the closer available ratios of a 2x as sitting at slightly the wrong cadence for minutes at a time can be frustrating.

I own road, gravel and mountain bikes. With 3x, 2x and 1x fronts respectively.

The logic you’ve read about above is simplified; but about right imo - in ref to 1x being ‘fine’ on an MTB where cadence is often not really a thing - compared to road riding.

The notion 1x is “……Fine for kids bikes or cheap town bikes....” is a nonsense and I suspect a flippant statement borne from zero thought or experience.

The wide variety of Cues interchangeable and compatible parts across 9/10/11 speed and across road/mtb sounds good in theory and is a demand of the bike manufacturers but Im not sure the result serves end users.
For low milleage bike buyers it makes little difference. For low budget, high milleage commuters it is bad news. High end 11 spd chains , sprockets and rings may be durable but when made out of low end materials I expect they will not last a winter.
Shimano have gone from total cross incompatibility to everything, anywhere , all the time. No Oscars this year.

Just had a read around Cues. Shimano are implementing LinkGuide teeth and chains at all levels. LG was designed for enhancec durability for electric bike/electric shifting which is similar to a very strong rider with poor skills.
Shimano say they are abandoning Trickle Down Cyclenomics and will instead develope the appropriate technology for these midrage groups. That sounds encouraging.
I can see improvements to bike shop inventory and spares availability.
If they do it right, with the right kind of durability, there may be hope. Shame about no triple chainset option.

Top Bottom