Is your pet suffering,due to social distancing and the lock down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Dogs pick up on how their owners feel.
Signs of low mood in dogs can be a sign of underlying illness.
If your dog is generally happy, waggy etc, and then at some point isn’t, it might be unwell.
But, in short, “No”, your dog doesnt know that there is a lockdown and Covid 19 epidemic and is therefore depressed. That is blatantly ludicrous.
However low and isolated you feel, please follow government advice and limit your social interactions. It’s for us all, not just for the few.
Play more games with the dog. Hide food in a toy. Dont let it watch the news.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm another one with a cat who seems confused by 24 hour human presence, I get the distinct impression it's an annoyance to her.

Well it's no surprise really, there you are, sitting on her "Wednesday, 11am chair"
for all the world, like it's your divine right.

It's enough to annoy any self respecting feline really.. :blink:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
5 cats, of which 4 are house cats and one only goes in the back garden as she is arthritic and partially sighted.

Old cat is very happy we are around to let her out in the garden, and the house cats have all day access to the cat run outside, so quite happy.

Only problem is Kyoto is now 7 months and needs neutering soon as Leo the alpha male is getting a bit grumpy with the others.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My dog is very happy to have more company.

Not so happy at only having one walk per day though.

Luckily we have a small garden so he can get some fresh air whenever he likes, otherwise I think he would be going crackers.
he could have 2 walks a day.....one for his exercise and one for yours

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My dogs are a smidge confused and I am hugely regretting moving here as I have no garden of my own. We have a communal garden. I give the dogs one really good walk a day and they get taken to the grass verge at the front of the flats 2 or 3 times a day. I have been known to walk to the poo bin and back last thing at night.
Being sighthounds, they are pretty chilled out. They are wondering why I need to sit on their sofa though.

gbb

Legendary Member
Our circa 9 year old Lab is fine but he always was a quiet house dog. I take him out every morning and that's about it. He has access to the garden and will lay out there with us if we are out there but otherwise will lazily sleep in his bed.
He's so laid back he is almost comatose, always was.

D

Deleted member 26715

Get a cat & send it shopping

Mrs M

Guru
Our neighbours family have been staying a while along with their two female cats.
Thomas is in his element :laugh:
Doesn’t tolerate strange male cats but loves the ladies. Kissing through the fence.
Got a wee spring in his step just now. :smooch:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Since I'm retired I am one of the very fortunate ones at the moment that has a life that hasn't changed much from normal so she won't have noticed.
Our neighbours family have been staying a while along with their two female cats.
Thomas is in his element :laugh:
Doesn’t tolerate strange male cats but loves the ladies. Kissing through the fence.
Got a wee spring in his step just now. :smooch:
Aren’t they strange. Molly is an indoor cat. A couple of the neighbour‘s cats occasionally appear at the window. She detests Rocky from across the road and hisses and spits at him, but seems to like next door’s ginger one. :wacko:

My dog is very happy to have more company.

Not so happy at only having one walk per day though.

Luckily we have a small garden so he can get some fresh air whenever he likes, otherwise I think he would be going crackers.
If there is more than one person in the household each person could take the dog out once.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My shepherd X husky is grumpy because we're home all the time, at 8 years old he expects his mornings to himself with peace and quiet. He still gets his 1 walk a day to go mooch around the field so he's content with that.
The new lurcher, at just over 4 years old, is thrilled to have us at home. Less ideal is having to be socially distant at a time when I am trying to fix his distance barking issue which is normally resolved through introductions to other dogs, on lead. Off lead he is a hooligan so only getting that in an empty field..

Dog is never on a lead so say hello to anyone and there dog. She is not happy when I go into town without her. There is few people she misses and when they call round and give her a fuss she will pee herself. Not done that for a while and at four and half would have thought she would never do it again!

AndreaJ

Veteran
My dogs are missing being able to go on some of their walks which need a car trip to get to although we do have walks we can do from home. They are also missing training classes and 3 agility shows we would have been to are cancelled. We are still training at home though as number 2 dog is a 10 month old border collie and no one wants to be in lockdown with a young, bored border collie! The cat spends most of her day outside hunting stuff so she hasn’t noticed any difference.

Ours still get out each day on the bike trailer and have a run through the forest, no changes really although perhaps a few different rides to keep away from some of the more local walkers.

Top Bottom