Isle of Wight Randonee anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm going to be there, starting from the Kite Hill campsite at Wooton check point at 9.00am. Anyone care to meet up?

Paulus

toontra said:
Word of warning. I've just tried to make a cycle reservation for the London-Southampton train on Saturday - none available for any trains that day. I didn't even bother trying for the ones back on Sunday evening.

I think I'll have to bag the bike up and take it as luggage. Has anyone ever had to do this?

lots of engineering work on the line that weekend. No trains from london Waterloo that weekend to Southampton. I can get to portsmouth on the saturday, but on the monday will have to go via Chichester, Littlehampton and Victoria

Hummers

Paulus said:
I'm going to be there, starting from the Kite Hill campsite at Wooton check point at 9.00am. Anyone care to meet up?

I guess so.

How will I recognise you though?

I will be the one riding a bike. :tongue:

H

Angus

Hi Lou

Yes planning to attemp twice the way around this year (200KM) with my two brothers and a couple of friends. Also my sister and her husband are going to do one loop with my dad (78 this year) going for his 16th time. Looking forward to the challenge. Hope you enjoy too!!!!

Angus

zummerzet_lou said:
Was going to do this last year, but opted for the Dorset Macmillan cycle ride.

So, this year I might attempt the 100km route?

Am I completely mad as have heard tales of very steep hills? Would love to hear from anyone whom has done this ride.

Here's the link ...http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

Lou

Zoom

Über Member
There is a special 2 for 1 offer on the ferries again this year;

http://www.wightlink.co.uk/specialoffers/foots/winter08.htm

the catch being that it doesn't include the popular Pompey- Fishbourne route; but that's not such a big deal this year as you can get the Fast Cat to Ryde and start in Bembridge; but

BEWARE! the roadway on Ryde Pier eats road bike wheels (being made of railway sleepers) you can catch the train down the pier for no extra cost. You have been warned.

Hummers

For the extra £5, I'd rather catch the car ferry and avoid the Pier altogether.

Plus there's a bar for the return journey! :tongue:

H

Zoom

Über Member
Hummers said:

Plus there's a bar for the return journey! :becool:
H

so a bit more than an extra £5 :ohmy:

there's a 'spoons in Ryde :idea:

simonali said:
What is a randonee?

a long distance pub crawl

Paulus

simonali said:
What is a randonee?

A randonee is a longish organised cycle ride that is not a race or a sportive but is signposted and you get a check card that has to be filled in a various checkpoints to show that you have completed the route.

I lke the idea that it an organised pub crawl though!!

Zoom

Über Member
simonali said:
I take it riding in groups is OK then?

most riders do perfer to ride in groups yes; altough many groups just come together spontaneously during the ride. I's a good introduction to Audax style riding.

and from this year the ride is eligible for the Grimpeurs du Sud if you want to use your new found hill climbing skills...

www.egcc.net/audax

Hummers said:

Plus there's a bar for the return journey! :wacko:

H

Also a nice Hostelry by the car ferry at Fishbourne....

Trouble is it will be full of bl**dy debauched cyclists!

wp3e25dae1.jpg

Top Bottom