Isle of Wight Randonee anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
simonali said:
I can't do that Audax malarky, I .don't even own a road bike!

There will be everything there from road bikes to tourers, Recumbent bikes / Trikes, folders and there have even been unicycles.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just received phase 1 approval (provisional) from the good Mrs Dr Bollo.

Thank you SW Trains for deleting all trains from Winchester during the weekend. There's a bit of me that says "Go on Bolls, ride to Southampton!", but as that bit isn't my legs or my @rse, I'll probably end up driving and parking near the ferry terminal.

If anyone wants a GPX file of the route (absolutely no warranty on accuracy!) PM me with an email address and I'll try and pass it on.

Bollo said:
Just received phase 1 approval (provisional) from the good Mrs Dr Bollo.

Thank you SW Trains for deleting all trains from Winchester during the weekend. There's a bit of me that says "Go on Bolls, ride to Southampton!", but as that bit isn't my legs or my @rse, I'll probably end up driving and parking near the ferry terminal.

If anyone wants a GPX file of the route (absolutely no warranty on accuracy!) PM me with an email address and I'll try and pass it on.

If you want to avoid the hassle of PMs then you could post the route as a "GPX" file on Bikely or similar.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks C. Just had a look on Bikely and there are a two routes already available, neither of which match mine. I think I'll just follow the signs.

Don't do what a group did in Cowes last year......

Large group of cyclists on Ferry almost filling the Deck.

FAst Group gets off at front and are followed religiously....now if only they had been on the Randonnee. Problem was thatthey weren't, so after ten minutes 30 odd cyclists in the back streets of Cowes trying to find the signs.

FatBloke

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
There will be everything there from road bikes to tourers, Recumbent bikes / Trikes, folders and there have even been unicycles.
And even the odd red-haired beardy-wierdy or two!! ;)

FatBloke said:
And even the odd red-haired beardy-wierdy or two!! ;)

Well...........................

I know of one gentleman of a red haired appearance, with a beard and riding a sliver recumbent trike who is attending.... and may even be imbibing a few pints in the Fishbourne Inn afterwards.

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(No sandals though)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cunobelin said:
Don't do what a group did in Cowes last year......

Large group of cyclists on Ferry almost filling the Deck.

FAst Group gets off at front and are followed religiously....now if only they had been on the Randonnee. Problem was thatthey weren't, so after ten minutes 30 odd cyclists in the back streets of Cowes trying to find the signs.

There'll be no following fast groups, I can assure you of that. It'll just be me and the unicyclist battling for the lanterne rouge.

Mrs Dr Bollo has invented a new form of TT, where the wife installs herself in John Lewis at West Quay with her husband's credit card while he pedals around an island, knowing that every turn of the crank means a few more pennies on that end-of-the-month bill.

Just booked Southampton-Cowes tickets on line, there was a half hour queue at the ticket office last year. Twelve bloody quid each!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Dave Davenport said:
Just booked Southampton-Cowes tickets on line, there was a half hour queue at the ticket office last year. Twelve bloody quid each!

It is very expensive. There was something on the South Today or similar about the drop in visitor numbers to the island this year. They highlighted bad weather, but I think the ferry prices have just as much to do with it. Its not like the ferries are like cruise-ships either. This lot have got a huff on.

Tony

Anyone else spot the ginger beardy....er, I mean the gentleman of relaxed physique, piloting a tandem, amd wearing a pair of skimpy running shorts, spd sandals, and absolutely nothing else?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Unfortunately I may have done, but I believe the gentleman in question was on a 'bent, not a tandem, just before crossing the A3056 at Branstone.

Was having a lovey ride 'till my back rim disintergrated just as I got to the top of the climb at Blackgang, lucky it didn't last another 200 yards or I'd have been doing 40mph not 10.
Mrs d rode back to the last checkpoint and a very, very nice man from Wayfarers came and picked me up and took us both back to Cowes. He was a great guy who'd done loads of touring including a 2 1/2 year round the world trip (thanks again 'Mr Magic' if you're reading this).

Lesson of the day 'check rims for wear more often'.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I saw a ginger beardy on an ancient tourer, he was near freshwater going up the second of the cliffs. I had a struggle to get passed him on the climb as he was doing very well.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Dave, that was you was it? You asked me if I had the phone number of the rescue bus. which unfortunately I hadn't. glad you got back ok.

Top Bottom